Current trajectory??

chebuck

What is yalls opinion on the current trajectory of the Tennessee hunting season?

It appears to me that the current commission is trying to slowly copy kentuckys regs.

What do you think will be next?

I look for them to shorten rifle season next year.

Buzzard Breath

2017 is Teague and Bledsoe's last year as commissioners, so you can bet the farm that whatever is proposed will be a big one.

huntinkev

chebuck":5ji4vakt said:
What is yalls opinion on the current trajectory of the Tennessee hunting season?

It appears to me that the current commission is trying to slowly copy kentuckys regs.

Say it ain't so. I believe you will see an eruption if they shorten the season. That would be the last straw, I believe. I will be ready to march to Nashville in protest. There is no reasoning behind all this except bigger, older bucks.

I bet the insurance companies aren't happy with the recent changes the last few years. If this happens next year (or ever while our herd is healthy)we need to use all avenues to protest.

AT Hiker

Poser":1iv2tefw said:
Legalized marijuana

We just bought a used Subaru Outback. If they legalize pot in TN I will be full circle with my hipster hunting vehicle. Heck, the value of it might increase dramatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

landman

Buzzard Breath":1kxn3bm4 said:
2017 is Teague and Bledsoe's last year as commissioners, so you can bet the farm that whatever is proposed will be a big one.

no really, they can be reappointed, its happens

TheLBLman

Personally, I expect to see very little change in the regulations over the next many years.
And at least in the coming decade, there is zero chance of a 1-buck limit in TN.
Don't all the states bordering TN (other than KY) have a 2-buck or greater limit?
Maybe our regs will become more like Alabama's :mrgreen: or South Carolina's?

IMO, this recent change in the definition of a legal buck vs. antlerless deer is going to amount to much ado about nothing, or at least it's really not going to make much difference, good or bad. I'd have preferred no change at all, and suppose it could be changed back next year, but it certainly has "raised awareness", which may have been the primary reason for it, real truth be known.

But if I'm wrong, note that KY's deer season opens on September 1st and closes later in January than does TN's, so some of you might like that. In that respect, KY hunters have several weeks more hunting opportunity than do TN's. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see TN's deer season someday opening earlier in September like KY's (but we'd still have our multiple buck limit, unlike KY), so one could say we're on a trajectory to become more like South Carolina.

The majority of TN's deer hunters could care less, whether we become more like Alabama or more like KY. Most just want to know the rules/dates, therefore any change (like the definition of an antlerless deer) can become an educational tool for raising awareness. To TWRA's credit, I have observed a trend towards simplification, although this recent change of antlered/antlerless definition is anything but.

BSK

chebuck":blx0ym9g said:

You are correct that they are trying to copy KY, as well as IL and other Midwestern states' regulations. They are under the erroneous impression these Midwestern state are trophy states because of their regulations, instead of the real reasons (soils and habitat).

In their fixation/obsession for reducing buck harvests, I would suspect making button bucks count as bucks will be on their agenda. Next will be a 1 buck limit. Shortening gun seasons will also be on the agenda, although they will increase bow opportunities to mimic the Midwestern states.

TheLBLman

BSK":32x29v39 said:
In their fixation/obsession for reducing buck harvests, I would suspect making button bucks count as bucks will be on their agenda.
I believe some of you are "fixated" on negativity. :D
The sun's going to rise in the morning, and we're going to have a great deer season.

This definition change of antlered/antlerless is going to make very little difference to most us, other than maybe raise some awareness.
If it's 1/10th the problem some of you are assuming, I suspect it will get changed back to that old 3" rule we've had for decades (which, like you, I believe served us better, and I personally preferred no change, but it's not causing the sky to fall).

By the way, the buck limit was changed to two (2) last year, something I've heard many of today's complainers state was their preference over the past many years. TN is not going to a 1-buck limit, no matter how negatively some of you want to assume that.

TheLBLman

One of the more "positive" things that is happening with the 2016 deer season:

For the first time in Tennessee's modern deer-hunting history, hunters in EVERY TN county will be able to take to the field on the traditional opening of "gun" deer season, and kill ANY deer they prefer. ANY deer; it's no longer "buck only" as it has been even recently in most East TN counties.

Of course, the hunter will have to have either a sportsman/lifetime or Type 93 permit, but, imo, this is a much bigger positive for many East TN hunters than the antlered definition change is a negative, at least to that "average" deer hunter. Think about it: Until and unless a hunter kills "a" deer, it generally doesn't matter one iota whatever the definition of an antlered deer (less exception than ever before)

Being able to kill ANY deer during at least the 1st week of gun season statewide should be a huge increase in opportunity for the "average" TN hunter, who has been killing less than 1 deer every two years, and has traditionally been hunting under "buck only" regs (since so many of TN's hunters do not archery hunt or muzzleloader hunt).

Again, putting all this in the context of most TN deer hunters not even killing "a" deer annually, not even having 100 or more private acres to deer hunt, I feel blessed to be one of those just engaged in this conversation. By comparison to that "average" hunter afield on "Opening Day", most of us posting on TNdeer.com today are elitist deer hunters (relatively speaking of course), but especially when we "manage" hundreds (if not thousands) of acres, and annually kill multiple deer.

The real "trajectory" we're on is one that is improving hunter success for most TN deer hunters.
Perhaps for the first time in Tennessee's modern deer hunting history, 2016 will become the year a majority of TN deer hunters actually kill "a" deer, at least one. Just maybe, 2016's deer hunter success will become 51%.

TX300mag

It wouldn't surprise me to see them shorten seasons in the near future. There is plenty of support for it (as if they need support to do it).

Hopefully Trey Teague will be replaced with someone that represents the average hunter.

huntinkev

TX300mag":hmdvaqak said:
It wouldn't surprise me to see them shorten seasons in the near future. There is plenty of support for it (as if they need support to do it).

Hopefully Trey Teague will be replaced with someone that represents the average hunter.
I completely agree with you. But, what kind of hunter would want to shorten the season. If it's something you love doing, just being out in the woods enjoying creation and waiting on a deer, who in their right mind would want to limit that even further. The way the commission is acting it's like our herd is in dire need. As far as I know, our herd seems to be healthy and thriving.

Tennessee Lead

TheLBLman":2drjskjz said:
TX300mag":2drjskjz said:
Sincere question (and really nothing to do with Trey Teague),
but how would you define that "average" hunter?
I'm not TX but I would define the average hunter as someone who doesn't measure success in inches.

TX300mag

TheLBLman":1qar49gy said:
TX300mag":1qar49gy said:
Sincere question (and really nothing to do with Trey Teague),
but how would you define that "average" hunter?

Some things are easier defined by what they aren't. Nothing to do with Trey Teague, but the average hunter doesn't make his living selling trophy hunts or pay several thousand dollars to trophy hunt a couple of days.

chris1976

TheLBLman":1auhvpkw said:
BSK":1auhvpkw said:
In their fixation/obsession for reducing buck harvests, I would suspect making button bucks count as bucks will be on their agenda.
The sun's going to rise in the morning, and we're going to have a great deer season.

This definition change of antlered/antlerless is going to make very little difference to most us, other than maybe raise some awareness.
If it's 1/10th the problem some of you are assuming, I suspect it will get changed back to that old 3" rule we've had for decades (which, like you, I believe served us better, and I personally preferred no change, but it's not causing the sky to fall).

By the way, the buck limit was changed to two (2) last year, something I've heard many of today's complainers state was their preference over the past many years. TN is not going to a 1-buck limit, no matter how negatively some of you want to assume that.
please tell me how you ASSUME that it's not on the future agenda? Or are you just guessing like the rest of us. You know what they say about opinions..... Pretty sure your opinion on negativity serves no purpose but self righteousness.

TheLBLman

chris1976":5swyfkjo said:
. . . . . please tell me how you ASSUME that it's not on the future agenda?
The Commission (as well as the TWRA now) has placed much merit in the surveys and opinions of the majority of TN's deer hunters. For the past many years, they have been right on the line of preferring either a 2 or a 3 buck limit. In early 2015, the initial surveys showed a slight preference for a 2-buck limit, while later surveys showed a slight preference for a 3-buck limit, but taken as a whole, the Commission believed most hunters had a very slight preference for a 2-buck limit and that's what ultimately happened.

Only a small minority (of hunters) preferred a 1-buck limit, and neither the TWRA nor this current Commission has any intention of pushing a 1-buck agenda. In fact, it was agreed that the 2-buck limit would be a 5-year deal, so I fully expect it to be early Year 2020 before the buck limit is revisited. The expected discussion is whether to keep the 2-buck limit, go to a "2-3" like we had for many years, or go to a 3-buck limit like we had for only a short time before going to the current 2-buck limit.

Of additional note, even many "big buck" states (such as Illinois) do NOT have a 1-buck limit. Most states now have a 2-buck limit, which appears to have been the best overall compromise between what few prefer a 1-buck limit and those who prefer a higher buck limit.

For whatever reasons, anything perceived as "negative" always becomes the front page discussion, a zillion pages, while anything "positive" goes to the back page and is ignored. Just look at all those posts about the definition change of an antlered/antlerless deer, while the bigger positive of ALL statewide hunters for the first time in TN's deer hunting history being able to hunt opening day of the 2016 gun season "either-sex" isn't even being discussed.

Again, 2016 is the first year in TN's deer hunting history where ALL deer hunters across the state (including all of East TN) can now legally hunt "either-sex" for at least the first week of our rifle deer season (which includes Thanksgiving week). What's more, unless and until AFTER "a" deer is killed, the definition of antlered/antlerless is now totally irrelevant to this majority of hunters because ANY deer will be legal to them.

How can this not be a "trajectory" of increasing opportunity for the majority of TN's deer hunters?

BSK

TheLBLman":m239k073 said:

I'm "fixated" on reality. The reality is the Commission is currently being run by trophyists who don't know much about deer management. These trophyist have the potential to do real harm to deer management in TN before they're done with their terms.

TheLBLman":m239k073 said:

Until you accidentally kill an acorn spike while thinking you're killing a doe and your season is suddenly over, and for NO GOOD REASON.