Current Haywood County duck hunting

Chaneylake

Nothing happening in Haywood County since January 20th.

Guide service here is doing nothing

One group that I know has a 110 acre +/- field of standing corn. They have killed a few ducks at this location. The corn is basically gone from ducks feeding at night

For those of you that don't know. 110 acres of corn costs $300 per acre when properly done.

The owner of this location told me on January 23 that he had $300 per acre in this spot plus another 70 acres +/- at the $300 per acre input cost.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
We had the best two days of our year Friday & Saturday.

My son talked me into going Sunday. I was tired and it was over for me but I wouldn't make him go alone so I went.
We killed one sawbill.
Saw maybe 30 ducks total in the area.

Stupid ducks.

Dodge Man

Chaneylake":29pkvf8s said:

One group that I know has a 110 acre +/- field of standing corn. They have killed a few ducks at this location. The corn is basically gone from ducks feeding at night

For those of you that don't know. 110 acres of corn costs $300 per acre when properly done.

The owner of this location told me on January 23 that he had $300 per acre in this spot plus another 70 acres +/- at the $300 per acre input cost.

That really a high cost for killing some ducks if you look at the value of the corn if had been harvested could have made $500-$800 an acre profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bgoodman30

Yeah its been slow since the 20th. I guess when you have crappy weather plus highly educated late season ducks your SOL..

Chaneylake

Dodge Man":18v35n3f said:
Chaneylake":18v35n3f said:

That really a high cost for killing some ducks if you look at the value of the corn if had been harvested could have made $500-$800 an acre profit.

A drop in the bucket for these people

tickweed

Well, not Haywood county, but one day to go. Still taking 4-5 a day, but ducks very leary. Sure hate to see it end, but we had our time to hunt them. Maybe one day next year we will get some weather and the Mississippi will stay in.

Hawk

Chaneylake":1sh6r9xo said:
Dodge Man":1sh6r9xo said:
Chaneylake":1sh6r9xo said:

A drop in the bucket for these people

I have heard from a reliable source that the Feds may change baiting regs and leaving standing or unharvested corn would be considered baiting.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Hawk":2t105eb0 said:
I have heard from a reliable source that the Feds may change baiting regs and leaving standing or unharvested corn would be considered baiting.

No kidding?
That will change things a bit.

Cache

2-Step Enabled
RUGER":2d9e4boi said:
Hawk":2d9e4boi said:

No kidding?

I know there are a lot of people that hunt flooded corn but these places that hold a good bit of ducks simply use them as a way to hold ducks in the area they hunt. We've got a club across the street from us that had close to 200 acres of flooded millet that was left just to hold ducks next to their 500 acres of flooded timber.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
RUGER":1hx7a7oe said:
Hawk":1hx7a7oe said:

No kidding?
Won't do any good if they keep planting corn on all the refuges. The ducks will keep on staying there where they are unmolested and have all the corn and water they want with no pressure.

Latest posts