Cull buck?

Ski

Please explain what a cull buck is.

A cull buck on my place is a mature buck who's never been and shows no sign of ever being a trophy size. Every buck like that who use or live on my property are taking up space and consuming resources that otherwise could be supporting more promising animals. So they get culled. I also cull aggressively territorial does who chase away any deer that isn't her offspring.

I worked very hard my entire life so that I could buy a piece of dirt to call my own and hunt it. I invest a lot of time, money, thought, and sweat molding it into a big buck hunting property. My objective is to have an exciting hunt where I always have very high odds of seeing and hopefully tagging a big buck. Yes I love venison and I hunt for meat. But I'm not a single faceted man. I'm complex enough of a human to stack multiple objectives, so my meat hunt comes with a big set of horns to serve as a memento, or what some hunters call a trophy.

If going out & shooting whatever willy nilly deer you want just for the meat is what makes you happy then knock yourself out. Nobody's judging you. But I don't personally find that very fun. What's fun for me is owning the land, working the habitat, monitoring the herd & being familiar with every deer, seeing them grow into trophies, and attempting to harvest one of them. It's a comprehensive effort that I find incredibly rewarding. Part of that process is culling animals that work against my goals, and stupid an idea as that may seem to some, it's an effective tactic. And it's not about genetics. I have only so many acres and it holds only so many deer. Every 120" 5yr old is a preventing a potential trophy. He's got to go. Every troublesome doe keeping guard over a plot or mineral site keeps bucks and/or other doe groups away. She's got to go. It's a never ending uphill battle but I enjoy every minute of it. It's part of the process on my place.

That is what a cull buck(or doe) is, explained in my terms for my purposes. Your property may have a different meaning for the term, but in my experience most everybody who works habitat for deer hunting defines a cull the same way. With bigger properties a cull can plausibly steer genetics. On a small place like mine it merely makes room for a deer that might be more promising. That's it in a nutshell.

I just want to kill mature deer as well, sometimes it goes good and this season is not going good. I am sure hillbilly was set on something different but knew that if he had the opportunity he would take the mature. I don't call anything a cull anymore unless it's a mature buck.
I had passed him as a 3.5,4.5, and 5.5. He was actually a bully and as soon as i shot him other bucks started showing up including a 4.5 year old 140" 10 pt.
DF0B04CF-2C74-43D6-AF1E-DC6C2E145FB5.jpeg

megalomaniac

I had passed him as a 3.5,4.5, and 5.5. He BBC was actually a bully and as soon as i shot him other bucks started showing up including a 4.5 year old 140" 10 pt.View attachment 121813
perfect example of a cull.
And you are correct, one of those will often push out other more desirable bucks from the area.

Specializedjon

"Cull" is misused a lot. "Management Buck" is a more appropriate, but like many have said, it's your land, your rules. Name your buck what you want, kill them for whatever reason you want. TO ME...a cull buck is a buck that has a genetic issue of some sort. Example: I had what appeared to be a 3.5 y/o walk by be with a moose antler looking paddle on one side and a straight spike on the other, aka...genetically "off". That's a buck I'd want to take out of the gene pool on my property, wasn't my property so I let him walk. Just my opinion of the term "cull".

Specializedjon

"Cull" is actually the correct term, according to the definition of the word. Should we should stop using the word "bra" and instead start calling them breast support devices? It's just semantics.
I know it's the CORRECT term, it's still misused. Yes, stop saying "bra". They are breast support devices or "over the shoulder bolder holders".

Derailment in 3,2,1......

DeerCamp

I don't want to speak for HH but pretty sure he's saying he killed him because he was a mature deer not what rack he had.
And that's great, I just wish we would stop using the term cull buck because of the implication that it is impacting genetics. It isn't, and creates a lot of misconception.

But one VERY VERY IMPORTANT point to make where I think he made the right call shooting the buck regardless.

From a management standpoint removing this buck from the herd may open up the territory for a buck with higher potential.

Regardless of rack size, a 250lb buck in Tennessee is probably going to have a strong impact on his range.

DeerCamp

A cull buck on my place is a mature buck who's never been and shows no sign of ever being a trophy size. Every buck like that who use or live on my property are taking up space and consuming resources that otherwise could be supporting more promising animals. So they get culled. I also cull aggressively territorial does who chase away any deer that isn't her offspring.

I worked very hard my entire life so that I could buy a piece of dirt to call my own and hunt it. I invest a lot of time, money, thought, and sweat molding it into a big buck hunting property. My objective is to have an exciting hunt where I always have very high odds of seeing and hopefully tagging a big buck. Yes I love venison and I hunt for meat. But I'm not a single faceted man. I'm complex enough of a human to stack multiple objectives, so my meat hunt comes with a big set of horns to serve as a memento, or what some hunters call a trophy.

If going out & shooting whatever willy nilly deer you want just for the meat is what makes you happy then knock yourself out. Nobody's judging you. But I don't personally find that very fun. What's fun for me is owning the land, working the habitat, monitoring the herd & being familiar with every deer, seeing them grow into trophies, and attempting to harvest one of them. It's a comprehensive effort that I find incredibly rewarding. Part of that process is culling animals that work against my goals, and stupid an idea as that may seem to some, it's an effective tactic. And it's not about genetics. I have only so many acres and it holds only so many deer. Every 120" 5yr old is a preventing a potential trophy. He's got to go. Every troublesome doe keeping guard over a plot or mineral site keeps bucks and/or other doe groups away. She's got to go. It's a never ending uphill battle but I enjoy every minute of it. It's part of the process on my place.

That is what a cull buck(or doe) is, explained in my terms for my purposes. Your property may have a different meaning for the term, but in my experience most everybody who works habitat for deer hunting defines a cull the same way. With bigger properties a cull can plausibly steer genetics. On a small place like mine it merely makes room for a deer that might be more promising. That's it in a nutshell.
And you made a great point. You aren't pulling the trigger to improve genetics. You did it because of his impact on your resources and territory.

DeerCamp

"Cull" is misused a lot. "Management Buck" is a more appropriate, but like many have said, it's your land, your rules. Name your buck what you want, kill them for whatever reason you want. TO ME...a cull buck is a buck that has a genetic issue of some sort. Example: I had what appeared to be a 3.5 y/o walk by be with a moose antler looking paddle on one side and a straight spike on the other, aka...genetically "off". That's a buck I'd want to take out of the gene pool on my property, wasn't my property so I let him walk. Just my opinion of the term "cull".
I don't think it's so much about the literal definition of a cull which is versatile, but the fact that hunters have been conditioned by TV to tie this to improving genetics.

BSK

TheLBLman, Megalomaniac, Hillbilly Hunter and Ski all had great discussions about cull/management bucks. I too don't like the term "cull" simply because of its old link to the idea of improving genetics by taking out "inferior" genes. This is an incorrect concept (as does probably carry more of the genetics for antler size/shape).

But call it what you want, cull buck, management buck, whatever. I use the technique for clients just as Megalomanic described - to removed a mature buck that will never be a trophy and is just "taking up resources" that could go to another, larger buck. And for most clubs, they use these management bucks as a "bonus buck" that doesn't go towards their self-imposed limit/criteria.

Latest posts