Critique My Mount

batten_down

I got this mount back a little while ago. And I am impressed with the job. However, I do want to train my eye better on what separates an average job from a very good job. We all know what a bad job looks like.

Looking at the detail around the eye and the nose, it looks good to me. A big concern I have is I'm seeing some orange-ish tint showing up in the throat patch. This could be a by product of the tanning method used?

For the guys with a more experienced eye, how does this mount look to you? Is this average, above average? What about the throat patch?
20221025_102919.jpg

20221025_102938.jpg

20221025_103012.jpg

20221025_103020.jpg

20221025_103040.jpg

batten_down

The real test of great work is if it instantly takes you back to the moment of truth when you look at him. The taxidermist literally breathed life back into him for you to immortalize that moment in time.
Then he passes the test. I spend a lot of time looking at him and remembering that hunt. Was a very exciting and memorable experience.

Andy S.

Great buck and solid mount, congrats to you. My #1 critique would be the eyes, but that is the case for A LOT of whitetail mounts. His eyes appear to be looking down and away. What size neck did the buck have when you killed him (inches, measured right behind the ears)? Date of kill may shed light on where he was with neck size. Hard to tell his real size without anything next to him for scale.

batten_down

Great buck and solid mount, congrats to you. My #1 critique would be the eyes, but that is the case for A LOT of whitetail mounts. His eyes appear to be looking down and away. What size neck did the buck have when you killed him (inches, measured right behind the ears)? Date of kill may shed light on where he was with neck size. Hard to tell his real size without anything next to him for scale.
I shot him Oct 24th 2020. I put a tape on his antlers and came up with high 120s. (I'm no expert, first deer I've ever measured) He looks bigger in the pics. He had a small body, relatively speaking, and it made his rack appear bigger through the brush. I'm not complaining though, I was very happy to put my tag on him. I did learn from the experience and I have adjusted my goals because of it. Mainly, now I'm trying to target a certain age-class of deer. I hunt public land exclusively so while I'd like to say I will only shoot a 4.5+ year old buck, I've decided 3.5 and older is a worthy goal.

Latest posts