Crappie jigs

Eli103

i find that 1/8th ounce black, blue, red etc flies work good in stained greenish water tipped with minnow, under a float depending on water depth. monkey milk bobby garland's just depends on water color. but the flies tipped with minnows are great on flats right now. sorry dad if you see this

Dodge Man

I know some people are really tight lipped about the exact jig they use. I am just kind of bored, been ready to do some fishing and now winter wants to show up.
I also have in mind planning on tying up some feather jigs myself for crappie. I use to really like doing it back 20+ years ago. I am buying some new equipment and there is a lot more colors and flashy things then they use to have. Back then it was more natural and neutral colors it seems like over all. Now I think most people use pinks, orange, flashy streamers or sparkling strings.

waynesworld

I was at a boat show and saw a setup a guide uses. 2 p.m. – Mark Travis/Spider Rigging Crappie Fishing/Power Corking. Boat Setup, Rod Setup and The Rigs. He uses minnow but has a cork we used for redfish and large sinker. Can't wait to go try. He is a big panoptic user looked great.

Trapper John

Bobby Garland and whatever brand the slabtail jigs are seem to get consistent results. Natural colors and pearl in clear water on a sunny day. Pinks, chartreuse, and darker colors in cloudy water and weather.

Truth be told that's just my preference. I ran out of jigs on the water last year and ended up cutting up a pink fluke jerkbait into 2 inch strips and kept catching crappie on that. The fish didn't seem to mind. I like the 1/32 ounce jig heads for casting, vertical jigging, and fishing under a bobber. Just seems to be a good all around weight.

Last edited:

Moonman

I'm getting back into it and the 1/32 ounce is my go to because of the slow drop. Bobby g in bluegrass has been my go to lately. Also using them under a float works well and helps with hang ups. if you not using a float a good rod that is sensitive and you can feel the bite helps.

Tennessee280

I start out with 1/8th in january when and work my way up to 1/32 as they move up shallow.. chartreuse and black crappie magnets, chartreuse jig head, and chartreuse crappie nibbles.. ill occasionally use some chartreuse/red glitter bobby garlands as well but you have to go through 10-or so per trip almost if you don't superglue em to the jig head.. and these double cross jig heads are the only ones ill ever use from here on out!!

Attachments

• jig.jpg
    jig.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 139

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I really like the Bobby Garland jig bodies.
Trout / crappie magnets are hard to beat for a more "traditional" jig.

blueball

All the pros are saying color doesnt matter as much as size and profile,heres a good read

Tennessee280

All the pros are saying color doesnt matter as much as size and profile,heres a good read

i feel the same way, never been a big "color" guy.. some people swear they wont catch anything, then change colors and all the sudden start wearing em out.. i think its more of the fish just starting to feed as opposed to changing a color, which i why i just stick with ol faithful chartreuse!!

megalomaniac

I pour and tie my own. I prefer the aspirin heads with stick on holographic eyes, white head with chartreuse bucktail tipped with a minnow. 1/8 oz for vertical jigging in 16to 20ft depths or very windy conditions. All the way to 1/16 oz for more shallow and calm weather.

I use 1/32 oz jigs (poured plastic) for casting to bedded crappie in shallow water on smaller lakes and ponds

Latest posts