Crappie Coming Alive After Flood

rsimms

Sorry... belated report from last Sat./Sunday:
It's been a tough two days fishing for me... but it could have been worse. I could have been at home. And after having to cancel my guide trips the last two weekends due to foul weather and floods, it was GREAT to get back on the water to share our bountiful natural resources.

Saturday Harry Eades and his friend Derrick made their third trip from Franklin, TN to fish with me. I had hoped that nearly two weeks after "the mini-flood of 2011" my crappie would wake up. They did a little, but very little. We slugged it out all day for relatively few fish... but what we lacked in numbers, we made up for in quality. Harry and Derrick each had TARP fish and they went home with the makings of an excellent fish fry.

3_19_Eads_Harry.jpg

3_19_Derrick.jpg

On Sunday it was a Birthday trip for Ethan Seitz (12) with his Dad, Pat. With warming water temperatures, it seems as if crappie fishing should pick up everyday... and it did. We found spawning fish pretty shallow, 7 - 8 feet or less. We caught Ethan a limit of big crappie in the first two hours, including one TARP... plus a wide assortment of short crappie and other miscellaneous species. However the bite died for us a little after ten. Regardless, it was MUCH better than the day before.

3_20_Seitz_Pat_Ethan.jpg

It was especially fun watching Ethan do battle with a monster drum on a crappie rod with 6 lb. test line. Ethan did a great job and put the 12 lb. gray beast in the net... his biggest fish ever.
3_20_Seitz_Ethan.jpg

I shot the very tail end of the battle on VIDEO .

I gave Ethan one of my new Scenic City Fishing calling cards for his birthday. They're really "sharp!".

Scenic_City_Knife.jpg

Even if the fishing wasn't as great as I'd like, it's getting better... and that means life is good and getting better every day!

Rowdy

I'm impressed how that lil fella handled that old drum.
Cool as a cucumber!.....nice goin!

Str8Shooter

nice! We've been crappie fishin for about 3 weeks now and haven't caught the first one. We've caught just about every type of fish but crappie lol.

catman529

:cool: Great crappie and dang that's an awesome drum. Congrats to the fisherman who brought it in on 6lb line. I caught my first drum when I was 11 or 12, it was around 17 inches and was my first "big" fish and I was shaking... and today I still love catching a big drum, even if they're no use for anything, no fish is a trash fish to me.

Latest posts