Crabapples

JCDEERMAN

Deer like them alot. We have a natural little grove of them on our place. They seem to be doing worse every year though for some reason. I think this spring we are gonna prune them, fertilize them, and cut all the trees from around them for extra sunlight. Not sure what kind of Crabapples they are though.

A

Anonymous

Yes in many places they love them. In others, they're not that big of a deal. Depends on the individual deer and what other types of food are available.

Jarred525

I like southern crabapples. Bought bare root seedlings from NWTF this spring, potted 50, and went ahead and planted 20. The rain helped but all 20 survived and the potted ones are doing really well. Hope to plant them in a few weeks. In reading about them they are supposed to be very hardy and deer love them.

richmanbarbeque

I have Dolgo crabapples and Southern Crabapples. The dolgos are out at my property and even though they are only 4 ft high at best they had fruit on them. I ate a few and it wasnt bitter like I expected, actually tasted good. I know deer love them.

PickettSFHunter

Dolgo, Transcendents and Whitney are what I have. Havent seen fruit yet, they are just 1 year old but they are all growing well. We used to have a ton of Southern Crabs here, (hence why the area my land is in is call Crab) but they are disease prone and they have basically everyone died out, they are just a memory now at least in that area.