Crab Apples

Obsession

When do deer start to eat them? I have a tree that I didn't even know was there until this year. I brought in some other apple trees and put them about 50 feet from my food plot and a few months later I notice a tree on the edge of my food plot with apples on it. I am just lucky it wasn't cut when clearing my food plot. Anyway the deer don't seem to be eating the apples.

Obsession

I have no idea what kind it is, the tree must have been there for years. I assume when I brought the other apple trees in the tree was able to be cross pollenated, it was definitely a surprise to me. There are some apples on the ground and in the tree.

treefarmer

I have numerous wild apple trees on my property that produce huge amounts of 1" apples the deer have never eaten. They rot in the spring. I planted 100 crab apple trees that produce the 1/4" fruit and they go uneaten except for a few years probably when the birds eat them. I do have a southern crab apple that drops 1" fruit that disappears quickly so I think those work on my property and am planting more. Each property is different when it comes to preferred food sources. Experiment to see what works for you.