Cot Suggestions

Grundyhunter

I'm thinking about buying a cot to sleep on when we go camping during Squirrel Season. I am pretty good size guy, so if anyone has any suggestions on a good one to buy. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

R Crabtree

I ordered the army surplus cot that cheaper than dirt offers. I was so pleased with the quality of construction and comfort that I ordered a second one.

It's hard to assemble unless you have a plan. In other words it pays to read up on how to stretch the canvas and secure the end pieces in place.

Also, I replaced all of the nuts on the cot with lock nuts.

I suggest a thorough read of the reviews before purchasing. Like I said, I ordered a second one.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/COT100-1.html

BlackBelt

I got a Ozark Trail cot from WalMart that has been working well. It's large enough for a regular to tall person, and is actually comfortable. It was $39.99
But if you are over 6.5 feet tall, you might need something larger.
It is somewhat difficult to stretch the canvas to assemble and disassemble it, so if someone doesn't have any strength in their arms it might not be the best choice.
But for average folks with average abilities, it's pretty nice.

moondawg

Some type of military cot would be best. The Slumberjack that Stik mentioned is a good one, some of them have an inflated pad that comes with it. If it doesn't, I suggest getting one. It will make it more comfortable.

DO NOT get a cheapo cot with a mattress and springs. Everytime you roll over, it will squeak and creak. I found that out the hard way...and got rid of it after one camping trip with it.

Greenhead

Just make sure you use a sleeping pad. You will freeze in August without one. The air flows under them and your body compresses the insulation making it a cold night.

Greenhead

Just make sure you use a sleeping pad. You will freeze in August without one. The air flows under them and your body compresses the insulation making it a cold night.

44fanatic

R.I.P.
R Crabtree said:
I ordered the army surplus cot that cheaper than dirt offers. I was so pleased with the quality of construction and comfort that I ordered a second one.

It's hard to assemble unless you have a plan. In other words it pays to read up on how to stretch the canvas and secure the end pieces in place.

Also, I replaced all of the nuts on the cot with lock nuts.

I suggest a thorough read of the reviews before purchasing. Like I said, I ordered a second one.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/COT100-1.html

Use a 3' lever on the second end. Get one hole in the pin and then use the lever on the other side using the leg of the cot as a your anchor point. Set hundreds of them up this way.

stik

Jim H said:
I love the air mattress it keeps you off the ground and I like to lay face down.

the coldest i have ever been while trying to sleep was on an air mattress. i would rather sleep on the ground with a good pad.