Cordova International Farmers market

BamaProud

2 items I picked up at the Cordova International Farmers Market. Shrimp Crackers and Spanish style Tuna in tomato sauce. The place is crazy they have literally anything you can imagine from 10 ft long stalks of Sugar cane to frozen Jellyfish.

q9lhtnj.jpg

q9lhtnj.jpg

Widowmaker

If I can remember correctly, there's another international market on Winchester. You can definitely find some interesting stuff

BamaProud

Ok, both of those products were gross. The place is pretty cool tough.

2 more products they have that strike me as odd is thick a carbonated drink that has with caviar suspended in it, and something labeled as "shredded parts with oil added" I have no idea what the "parts" were but it was in the meat section.

Pennywise67

BamaProud":2yk5jtzf said:

2 more products they have that strike me as odd is thick a carbonated drink that has with caviar suspended in it, and something labeled as "shredded parts with oil added" I have no idea what the "parts" were but it was in the meat section.

I thought that tuna in tomato sauce sounded pretty good too. Try the fresh tortillas they have on the weekends. They are in a cooler by butcher/Mexican meat section

DaveB

I live really close to that market and have been in there 4 times. The first 3 you practically needed a gas mask because the strong smell of fish, which was not pleasant at all.

Last weekend I needed snow peas and I knew they had them so away we went.

They now wrap the fish in shrink wrap and it works, the place did not smell at all.

They did have the A/C turned down to 55. I had to play lizard and lay on hot concrete for 5 minutes to defrost when we left.

BamaProud

Yea, they have cleaned he place up a lot since it opened a few years ago.

I'm not sure how in the heck it is profitable to stock half of the stuff they have. Seriously is there a real demand for 10 ft tall stalks of raw sugar cane in West Tennessee.

JimFromTN

BamaProud":3bp2l15b said:

They sound disgusting. Try the whole dried shrimp. I am sure they are a whole lot better. They should be in the snack section. I have never had the courage to eat one. There is a K&S Market in Nashville that sounds similar. There are actually 2 of them. I go there mainly for the vegetables that you can't find in a regular grocery store. Also, fresh shiitake and oyster mushrooms not to mention pretty much all of the vegetables are a fraction of the price they are in the regular groceries as are things like coconut milk and thai curry pastes.

DaveB

You may not believe this but my wife bought two of those sugar cane stalks.

She cut them into pieces wrapped them in shrink wrap and sent them off in the UPS mailers. Also shared a bunch with her sewing circle at church.

The cut pieces of cane were what passed for candy when she was growing up.

BamaProud

I chewed on them in South AL(Bayou La Batre), as a kid. It was a neat snack very popular with the Vietnamese and Black folks involved in the Fishing industry(Bayou La Batry). I'd bet other than your wife and I there might be a 100 other people in West TN that has ever eaten them.

Pennywise67

BamaProud":311enjn6 said:
I chewed on them in South AL(Bayou La Batre), as a kid. It was a neat snack very popular with the Vietnamese and Black folks involved in the Fishing industry(Bayou La Batry). I'd bet other than your wife and I there might be a 100 other people in West TN that has ever eaten them.

make it 99 more I used to chew them as a kid when we went to Hawaii. Our store's in California growing up sold them but they were already segmented and not whole stalk.

Larry

Mike Belt

I can remember when I was a kid in grade school and we'd play baseball during recess on an old baseball field next to the road. At that time we were still pretty much country. In the Fall every year a trailer would drive by carrying sorghum cane and stop long enough for all of us to grab a stick. We'd all be fielding while chewing on a piece of cane.