chinese fish market

JSassassin

heard about this place in nashville where the have a huge fish market with live fish so i had to check it out..wow!!!!
this place had crawfish and every kind of clam you could think of just laying out :eek: they even had tanks with live eels :eek:
that is interesting, does anybody know any recipes for cooking eel besides using it in sushi??? and in their cooler they were selling whole carp :sick: do people really eat those things

A

Anonymous

My Grandmother used to make it all the time.. I could never get used to it doing backflips in the pan!! They wiggle and flop the whole time you are cooking them but they are GOOD!!! Here's the one i use...Enjoy..

1 (1-pound) eel
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dredging
1 teaspoon seafood seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
3 teaspoons salt
1 cup blended oil
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon chopped onion
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup white wine (recommended: Chablis)
2 teaspoons butter

Directions

Clean and skin the eel, and then cut it into chunks. In a large bowl, mix together 1 cup flour, seasonings, oil, garlic, onion, and pepper. Add the eel to this mixture and then marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

Dredge the marinated eel in flour. In a saute pan over medium heat, sear the eel until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Add the white wine and cook until reduced by half. Add the butter and cook until it melts and browns slightly. Divide the eel among 4 serving plates and top with the butter sauce.

JimFromTN

Do you remember the name of the market? There are 2 K&S markets in Nashville which have live catfish, tilapia, and eels. They sometimes have live crawfish, blue crabs, oysters, and clams depending on the season. There is also another market that I can't remember the name of. Its on the corner of murfreesboro road and Bell Road. I went in there once and they had some really weird looking fish. They had something called a dragon fish that was really freaky.

I have never cooked eel. I caught one once on the cumberland river and that just about freaked me out. It put up a really good fight.

BigAl

Memphis has a similar market. The smell hits you as soon as you get near the door. Its an international grocery and in addition to the live fish, it has just about every kind of ethnic food you can think of.

JSassassin

this one is just off of charlotte ave, i actually went there looking for softshell crabs as i cant find them anywhere around here..sure do miss eatin them at the little cajun place in florida me and the wife used to go to

JimFromTN

I think you are talking about K&S market and I have never seen soft shell crabs there. The only place I have seen soft shell crabs is Harris Teeter and they don't have them all the time. If you are comming in from out of town, you can call ahead and find out if they have any. They may have them at the fish market at the farmer's market but I don't know for sure. I have found places on line where you can order them from but you have to order them a dozen at a time.

jb3

I think there's a seafood market across the street from Nashville's farmer's market. There's also a seafood place at the rear of the "Factory" near downtown Franklin.

jb3

Franklin Factory. It's the old Jamison Bedding Plant. Located at the corner, I believe, of Liberty Pike/Franklin Road.

JimFromTN

I was unaware that the fish market was no longer there. I had not been by there in a long time. I have never actually bought anything from them. I never cared for their prices and the whole fish sitting under the glass did not look all that fresh. I would never actually recommend them but soft shell crabs are a specialty item and are usually flash frozen so you don't have to worry about freshness as much.

JimFromTN

There are actually 2 K&S Markets. The one on nolensville road which used to be service merchandise is the original. I rarely get any fish there. They do have good prices on catfish fillets and peeled raw shrimp. I go for the fresh produce. You won't find a better variety anywhere and the prices are great.