Cool bullet-looking thing

venator

A buddy at work showed me this thing today. Said he's had it for years, doesn't know exactly what it is, and thinks its originally from the Tennessee/Georgia region. Anybody know anything about it?

It seems to be brass or iron and bigger than a .50 BMG bullet and on the heavy side.

venator

0612091228.jpg

0612091227.jpg

mike243

hope its not a depleted urainum round of some kind :) ,make a big hole ,some type of machine gun round,if you knew the dia & length/weight you could track it down pretty easy,mike243

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Wonder if it is one of the things they used to drop out of planes that would just hit people after falling?

Goat

It is a 20MM armor piercing projectile. The 20MM automatic cannon has been in use for 80 years or so - aircraft, ships, boats, etc. I shot a bunch of them in 69-70. The cannon is belt fed with linked ammo. For our purposes we usually linked it with an armor piercing round every 4th round. They could absolutely chew up a log fortified bunker. Imagine that bullet hitting wood at 3000 fps.

Timber Ghost

Goat said:
It is a 20MM armor piercing projectile. The 20MM automatic cannon has been in use for 80 years or so - aircraft, ships, boats, etc. I shot a bunch of them in 69-70. The cannon is belt fed with linked ammo. For our purposes we usually linked it with an armor piercing round every 4th round. They could absolutely chew up a log fortified bunker. Imagine that bullet hitting wood at 3000 fps.
What he said. :)

Latest posts