Cook Bass Right, They're Delicious!

MidTennFisher

I took home a nice Smallie from Tims Ford last week. I cut it in chunks, dipped it in egg with a bit of honey. Then roll it in coconut flour/salt/pepper, then in unsweetened coconut flakes. Fry them in coconut oil and you've got yourself better fish than you can get at any restaurant. People who say bass tastes bad just need to hang out with me and learn to cook!

Attachments

• 20151201_182551.jpg
    20151201_182551.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,916

MidTennFisher

Pan fried in enough coconut oil to really get that coconut crispy. No need to make it half an inch deep, that stuff is expensive! Turn each nugget a few times and you're ready. It was delicious.

JimFromTN

You cooked a small mouth!!! The outrage!!!

Best bass I have eaten, I caught on Ky Lake and made a shore lunch out of it. I filleted, blackened, and made a po-boy out of it. Couldn't have been dead more than about 15 minutes before I ate it.

MidTennFisher

JimFromTN":3on93iqv said:
You cooked a small mouth!!! The outrage!!!

I know, I know. I've committed an unforgivable sin right? You would not believe how many arguments are started among our kayak fishing community on this topic. Crappie, gills, catfish, walleye, and white bass are all given a pass. You mention you ate a Smallie or a big Brown Trout or even a LM bass to some and they'll react like you said you ate a child.

Then come the "I'll never show you where I fish" comments and I'll reply with "obviously I don't need you to :)" haha. This Smallie was delicious and I plan to eat many more, there will still be a very healthy population of chunky Smallies in Tims Ford.

TennesseeRains

I like largemouth - and the pics of the smallmouth do look good.

However, crappie is my freshwater fish of choice - followed by bluegill. If I had a good supply of walleye - it would probably edge out crappie I reckon. Now, as far as all fish - it is my humble opinion that halibut is the finest fish that swims bar none.

TboneD

By far, best tasting bass I've had are those caught in brackish water on the gulf coast. BY FAR. I didn't know how big a difference it was until going home one summer and Mom fried up a mess Dad and I had caught. Ten times better than the ones I'd been catching when off to college. Maybe it's their heavy diet of fiddler crabs. ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moondawg

I filet mine. Then season it with seasoning of choice--most times it's either lemon pepper or cajun seasoning. Then place a slice of lemon and a pat of butter on it and wrap it in foil. Place on charcoal for 7 minutes on one side and flip it on the other side for 6 minutes. Even the ex was impressed, and she only liked fried fish from Captain D's. :D

Never had smallmouth, but I've had largemouth and rainbow trout on a few occasions.

AllOutdoors

Bass are good but I still like crappie, shellcracker better. Sauger fried in cast iron in coconut oil with coconut flour is the best. We always have plenty of crappie and shellcracker on hand and 99 percent of the time it's baked. A drizzle of olive oil in the pan with a dash of Carl's seasoning on the filets and a couple pats of real butter gets it done. If you like the lemon pepper route, you can add it to the above. A squeeze of lemon and a few cracks of black pepper to each filet before serving. Baked fish never tasted better.

catman529

Smallmouth are one of the best eating, all I do is fillet and blacken it. Or grill it on the skin with blackened seasoning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts