Complicated Compound vs. Simple Recurve Crossbow?

TheLBLman

Compound Crossbow vs. Recurve Crossbow?
Just wondering what do most see as the advantage/disadvantages of either over the other?

My personal thought is the recurve crossbow is a more reliable tool,
and that reliability trumps the compound crossbow's advantages (or potential advantages).

dsa5455

I'm guessing you mean recurve bow not crossbow. I guess if you were in the field and a cable came off or you accidentally cut your bow string than yes the recurve bow would be considered more dependable. A back up string a couple of shots and you are on your way.
I have a Matthews MQ1 compound bow that I purchased in 2001. Never had either of the issues listed above happen to me. I have not bow hunted in 3-4 years but feel that I could practice a few days and be confident enough to make a 15-20 yard shot with the compound. Not sure I could do that with a recurve so for me the reliability factor would be more about accuracy unless you had a lot of time to practice with your recurve.

TheLBLman

SKFOOTER":27cktqmd said:
No he meant Recurve Crossbow!
Correct.
Compound Crossbow vs. Recurve Crossbow

Sounds like the manufacturers/sellers of "compound" crossbows have much more effective "marketing"
than those of "recurve" crossbows :D

The shooting process (just pulling the trigger) is essentially the same
with a compound crossbow vs. a recurve crossbow.
Some claim recurve crossbows are easier to use and even more accurate.

It's a VERY DIFFERENT comparison than a compound vertical vs. a recurve vertical bow
drawn & held by hand.

Forvols

I have an Excalibur Matrix 355 plenty fast enuff, extremely accurate, little louder than a compound, maybe lighter than a compound, I carry an extra string and decocking rope in my bow bag. Very easy to take down replace string. Also I can unload it and uncock it without having to fire a shot using the decocking rope. Hands down one of the best xbows made I believe. I'm not a speed chaser or have to have latest and greatest..The M355 means what I need in a simple crossbow.

Crow Terminator

You are going to be seeing a trend with X bows, and that is going to be the ability to chocolate chip cookie and decock all of them without shooting them, and the ability to work on them without a press.

Mission bows are already this way, and it is expected that TenPoint will follow suit with the decocking and such. The simplicity to work on them at home or in the field without a press is not going to be exclusive to the recurve bows any more.

Latest posts