Club Tournament season is over... Barren River Lake was brutal

TNReb

Sorry.. this is long....

We had our last regular season club tournament of the year on Barren River Lake this weekend. The lake was off limits Mon-Thurs. Friday was the official practice day, and the tournament was Saturday.

I went the Saturday before the off-limits began to check out the lake. That was my first time ever seeing it. I fished from 2:00-7:00 in the evening and I only caught one keeper. It was tough.

I had also spent a lot of time on Google Earth marking transitions/points/humps and anything else I could find. I had tons of waypoints to check before ever seeing the lake.

On the Friday practice day, I never caught a keeper. However, I idled around and scanned a lot. I put right at 4.5 hours on the big motor Friday. I found 3 spots that had bass set up on a ledge. I marked all 3.

Bass.jpg

As we are all sitting around Friday night, everyone was talking about how tough it was. A couple people caught a big fish (one guy had one over 6, and two people had 5 pounders), but nobody had more than a few bites. It was sounding pretty bad.

I went directly to the spot in the screenshot above on Saturday morning. I caught a 3.32 and a 2.76 within the first 10 minutes. I fished it for another half hour and didn't get bit again.

I ran to my second spot and caught two more in the first two casts there. I had 4 for 11.53 (according to my scales) before 7am. At that point I knew I had a real shot of winning this thing.

At 7:05, I got my 5th bite. I set the hook and the fish didn't move. He just started swimming to deeper water. I started pulling, and he was just going wherever he wanted. I immediately though "catfish" and my heart sunk.

After fighting him for a minute he started swimming straight to the surface, and he jumps out of the water. It's a bass!

I got him to the side of the boat and was about to grab him.. I've got a really good look at him by now, and he's over 6lbs. It's the biggest one I've hooked in a couple of years. All of the sudden he caught a 2nd wind and shot directly under the boat about 100 mph. He snapped my line clean in two before I could even think about what happened.

Someone was on my 3rd spot, and I wound up not catching my 5th until about 1:00. I was never able to cull my smallest (2.1 lbs).

I weighed in 13.77, and that was good enough for second.

But what shocked everyone... is that someone had 17.60lbs. His biggest was only 4.06 - he had 5 really solid ones. He absolutely kicked our teeth in. If I had landed my big one.. and if it was exactly 6lbs, I might have still lost!

We had 38 guys there that morning.
3 of us weighed in 5-fish limit.
Nobody weighed in 4 fish.
5 people weighed in 3 fish.
6 people weighed in 2 fish.
5 people weighed in 1 fish.

My goal was to go grind out this tournament and make sure I finished in the top 10 for the year (out of 49 of us) to qualify for the Top 10 bonus tournament. I wound up finishing tied for 3rd in points. I also finished 3rd in total weight for the year. Out of guys that caught at least 20 bass this season, I had the highest average weight (2.9lbs).

This is my 4th year fishing this club. My goal for the year was to make Top 10 (I had never done it before). I accomplished that. Had a first and a second place. I struggled in between and had 3 tournaments where I didn't catch a limit. I've really got to learn to find ways to catch 5 on days when it's tough and the off shore bite that I like to chase isn't happening.

Kyboy

Barren is on a down year this year for sure. I have fished tourneys there and weighed in 20 lbs and not even cash a check in the past. The big schools of bass just don't set up on ledges good there anymore like they did 4/5 years ago.

TNReb

Sounds like a solid year, congrats on making the bonus round
Unfortunately the Top 10 tournament isn't a 5-fish format. Everything over 1lb counts. I will be at the bottom in that one! I'm not one of the guys who can go out and catch 15-20 fish a day.

redblood

I could probably catch 10-15 and have maybe 2 over a pound lol

Good luck and keep us posted
I can catch the crap out of them…….while trying to catch crappie. I dont even like ditch pickles but they find me. Of course that would change im sure if i actually needed to catch them.

I love watching the brandon lester videos. He crappie fishes all the local lakes around me-lives just a few miles to the south of me. Im sure the bass oay the bills, but if you want his channel- you can tell his passion is catching crappie

TRIGGER

Unfortunately the Top 10 tournament isn't a 5-fish format. Everything over 1lb counts. I will be at the bottom in that one! I'm not one of the guys who can go out and catch 15-20 fish a day.
Ahh you will see how many of those guys that claim they "caught probably 30 keepers today" come in with not much on tournament days. I know some of those guys. 😉