CLOVER

WDS

I have tried just about everything over the past 10 years. Advantage did not do what was advertised. That was back in 2005. I have switched exclusively to Will Ladino. If you do your part on the planting and maintenence (i.e. MOW !!! ) it will do its job. I have one 5 acre food plot that is on its 7th year strong !!! Again, I mow the shat out of it, even when dormant to keep weed seed-out to a minimum !!! Fertilize it with 0-0-60 after it is established (2nd year). Clover thrives on potassium.... adding nitrogen will just encourage more grass/weed growth beyond what the clover is already placing in your soil. I cannot stress enough to keep your pH at 6.0 or higher. The more BASIC your soil, the better (basic meaning the higher the number, 6.0-7.5 is optimal. My Perry county soils stay between 6.0 - 6.8 after close watch on pH and pleanty of lime application. Bulk lime is cheap and VERY necessary to keep your plots in tip-top shape. Clover is our cool season staple at Cedar Point. My old Papa and I have been planting clover on different farms since 1990. We HAVE MADE EVERY MISTAKE KNOWN TO MAN !!!!!! We hve settled on our perrenial mix that we can "Cedar Point Salad" and it has worked in a good way !!!!

WDS

I need to add ....... All clover plots should be fertilized AT LEAST ANNUALLY !!! We split our fertilizer application between fall and spring. If you have access to a Co-Op and have a large enuff plot, 0-0-60 is the ticket. To save $$ always go by soil sample. We are aggressive with plots so we sometimes 'doctor' them when the samples come back 'GOOD' .... we don't want good, we want GREAT !!!! We then look at the entire picture in the fall, according to soil sample, and add accordingly. Spring is the time to pump the potassium to ur plots for maximum 'above ground' growth. Again, I am sold on Will Ladino. AND, I cant stress mowing enuff !!! Now the stuff every chance you get !!!!

WDS

Sorry Booner , nature called !!!

Depends on the quantity. You can buy pelletized lime in 40-50# bags, or you can speak to your local CoOp to see if they will spread it for you in trucks (Big Trucks !!!) Normally, if you have a pH problem, you will need 1-2 tons per acre to bring the pH up (closer to the magic 6-7 numbers) I will be getting the Perry Co. Co-Op to spread 2 tons per acre on a couple of fields after season. Due to fuel costs, ect. it is gonna cost me 22.95 per ton ... delivered. May sound like a bunch (50.00 per acre ... roughly) , but without proper pH, u r spinning ur wheels planting high quality food plots. Peletized lime is definitely an option and we still use the heck out of it on plots that we simply cannot get trucks to !! We either spread them with our tractor hopper or a 4-wheeler with a seeder attatched. Pel & Ag lime take time to change the pH , however. You will not get instant results. Many factors come into play, such as rainfall, ect. Plan well ahead (at least 6 months) and recheck your soil !!!! I cannot stress how much $$$ you will save by a $7.50 soil test on the field/fields you plan to plant. All TN Farmers CoOps can help you with all of this. My NO MEANS am I an expert on this, but I have plowed my fair share of dirt !!! Let me know if I can help !!!!

WDS

Hope it helped. I have learned a TON from this TNDeer !!! BSK and others have taught me so much over the years !!!! That is what it is all about!!!! Like minded people helping each other reach their goals !! I now consider myself a clover "knowledgable" ....... never an expert !!! Never will be !! But I will certainly give you my opinion !!!! Just Ask BSK !!!!

Latest posts