Food Plots Clover in roads

AlabamaSwamper

Just for conversation, what is the best clover for roads and road edges?

All my perennial plots is Advantage Ladino. Would a ladino or a white Dutch be best? Perhaps arrowleaf or an annual like crimson although I'd like to not have to sow every
Year

honestly, there will be no lime on these roads. Same question pertains to fire breaks

Omega

I used cheap grass seed from Rural King broadcast on the TVA service road and food plot on my hunting site. Most times it was chock full of arrowleaf clover, some gets pretty big, but even when there is just a few clover seeds, the deer still browse the area. I used to use my boxblade rippers to breakup the ground a bit but the last couple years I just mowed and broadcast.

8iJndjS.jpg

F4I8Mbl.jpg

I1hfQnV.jpg

DoubleRidge

I used cheap grass seed from Rural King broadcast on the TVA service road and food plot on my hunting site. Most times it was chock full of arrowleaf clover, some gets pretty big, but even when there is just a few clover seeds, the deer still browse the area. I used to use my boxblade rippers to breakup the ground a bit but the last couple years I just mowed and broadcast.

8iJndjS.jpg

F4I8Mbl.jpg

I1hfQnV.jpg

Nice! Looks great.... Parts of our property are similar with utility line right of way.... another affordable project you can do that gives great returns is....in the second picture you posted....to the left of your access road.....bush hog some long strips through the natural growth..... creating new growth and more "edge".....also we will bush hog strips in strategic locations to create new growth, encourage deer traffic and improve visibility.....some strips may only be two bush hogs wide....great way to create natural new growth natural food source with minimal cost..... we'll do this mid to late summer leaving enough time for them to green up before cool weather sets in.

Omega

Nice! Looks great.... Parts of our property are similar with utility line right of way.... another affordable project you can do that gives great returns is....in the second picture you posted....to the left of your access road.....bush hog some long strips through the natural growth..... creating new growth and more "edge".....also we will bush hog strips in strategic locations to create new growth, encourage deer traffic and improve visibility.....some strips may only be two bush hogs wide....great way to create natural new growth natural food source with minimal cost..... we'll do this mid to late summer leaving enough time for them to green up before cool weather sets in.
The whole place would pretty much get bush hogged by the TVA, and oil company, they both have a right-of-way forming a V though my land. But a few years ago they stopped bush hogging and went to just started clearing any trees that started to encroach onto the ROW. So I bush hogged for a couple years, but have since started cutting trails through the tall grass, giving the deer a bunch of cover, well except from my stand :) What you see is toward the bottom, where the road and my food plot make a T, my stand being to the rear left overlooking the plot and road, Off the the edges of the food plot, the hills are covered in blackberry bushes, which they will sometimes eat as well, the leaves, not so much the berries.
NoiTEVc.jpg

DoubleRidge

The whole place would pretty much get bush hogged by the TVA, and oil company, they both have a right-of-way forming a V though my land. But a few years ago they stopped bush hogging and went to just started clearing any trees that started to encroach onto the ROW. So I bush hogged for a couple years, but have since started cutting trails through the tall grass, giving the deer a bunch of cover, well except from my stand :) What you see is toward the bottom, where the road and my food plot make a T, my stand being to the rear left overlooking the plot and road, Off the the edges of the food plot, the hills are covered in blackberry bushes, which they will sometimes eat as well, the leaves, not so much the berries.
NoiTEVc.jpg

Same for us....they stopped bush hogging many years ago and now only selectively spray any saplings that come up and they spray around bottom of the power tower itself.....I actually like it better this way because it leaves allot of good fawning and nesting cover....and allot of good natural vegetation for food....but most of all I like being able to select where to bush hog and where not too....tons of blackberry, natural grasses, pokeweed, etc....good stuff.

megalomaniac

Just sprayed my trails with 24d and remedy. Not good for clover, but the large broadleafs have just about choked it out. Pic was 1 week after spraying

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210716-145212_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210716-145212_Gallery.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 58

megalomaniac

What's crazy, and I can't figure it out... but the combo seems to spare buckbrush/coralberry. And spares grasses of course. So that works out perfectly as an alternative to bushhogging the trails

Latest posts