Classic

Shag

I may try to run up there one day and do a little shopping. It's the only place I can ever go to and actually lay my hands on some some trad gear without having to order it.

eddie c

it seems like the Forces of Family and Work are trying to stop me from going. :bash: I'm planning to doing the selfbow challenge this year.

eddie c

I got there Saturday afternoon and set up camp. talked to a couple of experts about selfbows, picked out a blank and started working on it yesterday. I was advised to start off with a blank and learn the fine tuning process before starting out with a stave.
started at 9am, took a 30 minute lunch break and was shooting arrows out of it around 3:30.
and didn't think to take a picture.
still got some fine tuning to do but I'm loving it. :super:
I had to come into work for a few hours today but will be back at it tomorrow. next step is to make a string. I was shooting it with the tillering string.

Shag

That sounds awesome, Eddie! I plan on doing a self bow one of these days just haven't gotten around to it. Have several nice hickory staves in the garage, just always seem to be on the back burner. It's not looking like I'm gonna be able to make it up there for any shopping...just too much to do around the house. Have fun!

eddie c

well, I haven't taken any pictures of the bow. we got there the Saturday before and I discussed the process of making a selfbow with 2 people. both were making a strong suggestion that I buy a roughed out blank and finish it first. this process will show me the finer points of shaping and tillering the bow using a rasp and scrapper. then later on I could buy a stave and do the whole process of using a draw knife, etc.
bought the blank on Saturday, started working on it Sunday around 9:30.
the bowyer Matt was working with me and a Father/Son team making the son's first selfbow. they had tried on their own and had broken 2 or 3 blanks in the process.
it was interesting learning how to determine where to remove the wood in order to tiller the limbs. I started with a osage blank roughly 67" long. the string grooves were cut at approx. 64". my target weight was50- 55#@28". never knew what the start weight was. Matt pointed out that it's unnecessary to stress the limbs past the target weight and putting undue stress on the wood, didn't matter if it was drawn 8" or 32",undue stress can damage the wood fibers.
after each session with rasping and scrapping, the bow was checked for poundage and limb bend, taking note where the limbs were bending/ not bending, etc.
as we approached the target weight, we check how the tillering string lined up through the handle and limbs to determined which side of the riser the string favored, thus determined the top and bottom limb.
took a 30 minute lunch break.
around 5 pm, I was shooting arrows off my hand with NO FEATHER CUTS PERIOD!!!! :tu: I didn't have the first feather cut all week. unfortunately I had to report to work on Monday but was back on Tuesday morning shooting off my hand. Wednesday I made a temporary leather grip and cut a hickory wedge from another shaved stave to put under the grip for a temp shelf. Then I was reminded that I needed wood arrows for the shoot. I had a couple that was given to me but bought 12 from a vendor.
another unfortunate situation arose. Tuesday my cousin texted me to let me know my aunt had passed that morning. I had to leave to go home Thursday afternoon and attend the funeral Friday. I returned the Classic on Saturday and shot in the rain with my bow. lousy arrow flight under the conditions but I was happy that I only missed 5 targets and only lost 1 arrow in the process. out of 40 targets, I scored 250. 11, 8, 5 and 0 was the scoring. 2 targets setups was pick a target but the more difficult target was kill for 15 or 0. naturally I had to try those instead of the 'give mes'. :D
I will get a picture added later.

Shag

Sorry to hear about your Aunt.

Sounds like you had a great time and learned a lot at The Classic. Looking forward to seeing pics of your bow.

eddie c

Shag":118iwuwb said:
Sorry to hear about your Aunt.

Sounds like you had a great time and learned a lot at The Classic. Looking forward to seeing pics of your bow.

thanks, Shag. it was expected, just a long time coming.

eddie c

a friend took this picture at the Classic. I got the bow done just enough to be able to take the shooting challenge.

eddie c

thanks.
still working on the finishing touches. shot it last night for the first time since Sunday. still have some tuning to do.
that grip was on temporarily to hold a wedge for a shelf. I cut it off last night and shot off my hand. I have yet to get a feather cut. I want to work on the grip some more.

Latest posts