Clarification on transport restrictions within CWD zone

fairchaser

I had been confused about transportation rules for deer carcasses within the new CWD zone. After digging down into the regs I found this section. This clearly states the rules regarding transportation of a carcass from one county to another within the zone or outside the zone.
1256c536867eca6473457439cceb11c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
So if I read that right, if I kill a deer in Madison Co(positive), I may only use a processor in Madison, Hardeman, or McNairy Counties? And not my regular processor in Chester(high risk).

fairchaser

TNGunsmoke":3q8paciw said:
So if I read that right, if I kill a deer in Madison Co(positive), I may only use a processor in Madison, Hardeman, or McNairy Counties? And not my regular processor in Chester(high risk).

You can transport into a positive county but not out unless it's going to another positive county and not through another non positive county to get there. I don't believe McNairy is positive yet. Only Hardeman, Fayette and Madison are positive.

Andy S.

Boll Weevil":3442trmi said:
I predict these rules will unfortunately be broken countless times going forward.
Me too, unfortunately. The transportation between positive and high risk counties is not well understood among those "in the know" more serious hunters, much less those that pick up a H&T Guide in July and go hunting. Hopefully, the CWD Section, and the guidance to hunters will be very clear in the 2019 H&T Guide.

Here is the link to the actual document for those who want to read it:

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/twra/ ... S-7037.pdf

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
fairchaser":1kxlcyor said:
TNGunsmoke":1kxlcyor said:

You can transport into a positive county but not out unless it's going to another positive county and not through another non positive county to get there. I don't believe McNairy is positive yet. Only Hardeman, Fayette and Madison are positive.

Yeah, it's Fayette I was thinking of.

BULL MOOSE

Im willing to bet those little red dots are going to also be found in Shelby, McNairy,, and Haywood County very soon.

Does the early buck hunt apply to all the counties or just the 3 confirmed?

fairchaser

BULL MOOSE":3ojr9brg said:
Im willing to bet those little red dots are going to also be found in Shelby, McNairy,, and Haywood County very soon.

Does the early buck hunt apply to all the counties or just the 3 confirmed?

Yes, the new seasons and new rules for the August buck hunt apply to the entire 8 county zone.

Andy S.

TheLBLman":2z6noam7 said:
fairchaser":2z6noam7 said:
Yes, the new seasons and new rules for the August buck hunt apply to the entire 8 county zone.
Does that mean these new "regs" will then apply to Natchez Trace WMA (Natchez Trace State Park) deer hunting?
I don't think so as it is in Henderson, Carroll and Benton counties, none of which are in the CWD Unit.

Mike Belt

I'm wondering how much testing will be done in the non positive counties surrounding the positive counties. Without confirmed cases of CWD in those surrounding counties hunters may not be so inclined to have them tested. That could potentially slow down the "red" dots in them.

BULL MOOSE

Mike Belt":2on3gzux said:
I'm wondering how much testing will be done in the non positive counties surrounding the positive counties. Without confirmed cases of CWD in those surrounding counties hunters may not be so inclined to have them tested. That could potentially slow down the "red" dots in them.

Mike, I think I saw in a video that there will be some mandatory testing days in the border counties and that will not be the case in Fayette and Hardeman. In other words, why waste resources at ground zero.

fairchaser

Mike Belt":1517al81 said:

I think they will do quite a bit of testing because they are wanting to confirm the leading edges of the outbreak.

Mike Belt

Are they going to immediately add those other counties to the CWD area as they find CWD in them or will they wait until the end of the season?

fairchaser

Mike Belt":2dteamxa said:
Are they going to immediately add those other counties to the CWD area as they find CWD in them or will they wait until the end of the season?

Not certain, but last year they added as they discovered them so I suspect they will follow suit.

Andy S.

From TWRA Facebook page:

"Can Transport:
You can transport whole form high-risk county to high-risk county and from high-risk county to positive counties, but you must debone, etc if you wanted to take an animal through a positive county from one high-risk to another (e.g. McNairy to Shelby) since you pass through positive counties and it would be difficult to determine the origin of the animal if stopped.

Cannot Transport:
You cannot transport whole from positive counties to high-risk counties, from positive counties to outside Unit CWD or from high-risk to outside of Unit CWD without following the carcass export requirements."

Public lands opened to the August 3-day hunt:
Meeman-Shelby State Park and State Natural Area
Eagle Lake Refuge
Wolf River Wildlife Management Area and Ghost River State Natural Area
Chickasaw State Forest Wildlife Management Area
Gray's Creek Wildlife Management Area
Oak Dain
Big Hill Pond State Park
Tull Bottom Wildlife Management Area
South Fork Refuge
Spring Creek Wildlife Management Area
Colonial Forest V Durand Wildlife Management Area
Fort Ridge Wildlife Management Area
Lower Hatcher National Wildlife Refuge (Tipton Co.portion only)

Earn-A-Buck
– TN's antlered deer bag limit (2) did not change; therefore it still applies to hunters hunting Unit CWD as
well as the rest of the state.
– Hunters, regardless of where they are hunting in the state, are able to harvest two antler deer during the
2019-2020 season without having to earn them.
– Only hunters hunting in Unit CWD counties may earn additional bucks for harvest.
– Unit CWD hunters may earn up to two bucks (i.e., antlered deer) for harvest, in addition to the statewide
antler deer bag limit of two.
– Earned bucks are received by harvesting two Unit CWD antlerless deer, checking them in, submitting
them for CWD testing, and being notified by TWRA.
– Earn-A-Buck will increase the number of deer (does and bucks) harvested and the numbers of deer tested
for CWD. Increased testing will give TWRA a more complete understanding of CWD in TN.

Mandatory physical check stations on November 2-3 and November 9-10 for Unit CWD counties except
Hardeman and Fayette.

– These check stations enable TWRA to test more deer for CWD.
– The increased testing will result in a more complete understanding of CWD in TN.
– Hardeman and Fayette counties are excluded from mandatory testing because we already have a lot of
data in those counties. Testing will be voluntary there and we will provide many ways that people can
have their deer tested regardless of where they are in Unit CWD.

Hardeman and Fayette counties are excluded from mandatory testing because we already have a lot of
data in those counties. Testing will be voluntary there and we will provide many ways that people can
have their deer tested regardless of where they are in Unit CWD.

woodsman04

I can understand the rules and what the words say, but some times I have to read it and make sure. I think it would be easier if they would word it better instead of the long winded and terminology they use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts