chocolat and biskits

WTM

here is another old timey recipe both my maw maw's used to make for breakfast. dont know if this is the exact recipe they used(they hardly had recipes for stuff they made) but after trying several recipes this is spot on the way theirs used to taste.

dont know who started it but it seems that only the poorer families from the south made it. some folks call it chocolat gravy and biskits and its real good with fried hogs jawl or bacon.

its a dying recipe like most of the old timey recipes, so maybe you can cook it for yalls youngins and keep it alive.

chocolat gravy:

1 cup sugar
2 heaping tbl spoon cocoa
3 heaping tbl spoon flour
2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbl spoon butter

in a saucepan, combine dry ingredients and whisk together to mix and get out clumps, you can also sift if you want.
slowly pour in milk while whisking until all mixed, it should look like chocalat milk. turn on medium heat, add vanilla and butter. slowly stir and cook until thickened to your liking. serves about 4 but you can double recipe.

biskits:
2 cup flour
1 stik butter
3/4 cup buttermilk

cut butter into flour until it looks like corn meal, add buttermilk and mix to ball. flour a cutting board and roll to a little over 1/2" thick. place 2 tbl spoon bacon grease in iron skillet and warm in 450 deg oven. place biskits in skillet and flip over so that bacon grease in on top of biskits. bake for 13 minutes or so.

i like mine with the biskits crumbled up, with a couple globs of butter on top then pour on the gravy.

A

Anonymous

My kids love it. Me too...lol That is a classic recipe. Been around for years and shall continue on.

Thanks for sharing that.

rutnstrut2

man u really dont understand I have tried to find thissince my mamaw past away three years ago she told it to me when I first got married but lost it I will try it and thanks I can see mamaw cooking it for us right now in her old kitchen!

Latest posts