Chinese Chestnuts??

PersimmonMan

I've seen several people mention that they have planted Chinese chestnuts. Where did you buy these, how large were they, and do you have any planting tips?
Thanks!!!

PickettSFHunter

I had mine shipped from Edward Fort Nurseries at about 12 inches, grew them out to about 4 feet in the garden and then transplanted. But I would love to find some good container trees locally but havent and didnt want to drive. Im sure you could find some easy closer to cities and Warren Co. area.

PersimmonMan

I'm really looking for container trees, perhaps 5 or 7 gallon if possible. I've called 5 or 6 nurseries in McMinville and nobody is growing these. Not sure why.

Jarred525

NWTF, bare root seedlings. I have also done Edward Fort. Edward Fort ones were better quality, but more expensive. I pot them in the spring and plant in November/December.

BSK

For anyone near Nashville, I bet there will be tree growers/sellers at the upcoming QDMA National Convention and Land Management Expo at Opryland Hotel.

J.M.A.N.

Deer sure love them. I have four trees planted together and they are around it all the time when their are nuts on the ground.

BSK

My parents have a variety of fruit and nut trees in their front yard. Deer will walk past all of them, including persimmon, apple, pear, etc., to get at the Chinese Chesnuts.

Makes me realize what a loss in critical food resources Chestnut Blight caused. Old reports indicated American Chestnut nut production was much more regular and consistent than acorn production.

richmanbarbeque

BSK said:
For anyone near Nashville, I bet there will be tree growers/sellers at the upcoming QDMA National Convention and Land Management Expo at Opryland Hotel.

SSSSHHHHHH! I plan on buying a crap ton! btw, how many is in a crap ton? :grin:

jmb4wd

richmanbarbeque said:
BSK said:

crap ton?? not sure, but I guess if they have one that is like 15 feet tall with a 150lb root ball you will probably wind up with it---lol!!

BSK

Beekeeper said:
Check this site out.

I think these trees are American chestnuts with enough of the Chinese genes to make them blight resistant.

http://tn.gov/agriculture/publications/ ... atalog.pdf

I have high hopes for these mixed breeds.

We think of deer are being primarily "acorn driven" in fall. However, prior to the chestnut blight, deer were primarily chestnut driven in fall. Acorns were a secondary food source.

richmanbarbeque

jmb4wd said:
richmanbarbeque said:
BSK said:

crap ton?? not sure, but I guess if they have one that is like 15 feet tall with a 150lb root ball you will probably wind up with it---lol!!

Actually 20 foot tall but who is measuring? Ha! I bet I get carried away if given the opportunity.

Latest posts