Chinese Chesnut

pass-thru

I did a walk through our trees that will be cut with the forester yesterday. There's a huge tree that I wasn't sure what it was, that he identified as chinese chesnut. How good of a tree is this to have?

pass-thru

KubotaM4900 said:
Let's see this thing

I'll see if I can get a pic tomorrow.

Leaves are off now but I had seen it in the past when the leaves were on. Look like chenut leaves. I knew it was not a chesnut oak or chinkapin oak, which are the only trees that I know that have leaves like that. So Chinese Chestnut makes sense.

treefarmer

They are loved by deer and people. Equally important is they produce every year because they flower late in the spring so the frost doesn't kill the nut. I don't know when they drop so they may be a bow-only food if in September/October.

BSK

pass-thru,

The only question I have about the tree identification is the tree's size. Generally, Chinese Chestnuts do not grow tall (although I've seen a few grow 40-50 feet). In addition, someone had to have planted it, as the are not a native tree. In fact, they are a man-made hybrid.

As for it's value to deer, in my opinion, the Chinese Chestnut is the TOP deer attracting fruit/nut tree available, considering attractiveness and fruiting pattern.

pass-thru

treefarmer said:
They are loved by deer and people. Equally important is they produce every year because they flower late in the spring so the frost doesn't kill the nut. I don't know when they drop so they may be a bow-only food if in September/October.

Wish I'd known that last fall when there was no acorns!!

I have seen deer feeding up around that tree.....it's not far off the highway.

pass-thru

BSK said:
pass-thru,

The only question I have about the tree identification is the tree's size. Generally, Chinese Chestnuts do not grow tall (although I've seen a few grow 40-50 feet). In addition, someone had to have planted it, as the are not a native tree. In fact, they are a man-made hybrid.

As for it's value to deer, in my opinion, the Chinese Chestnut is the TOP deer attracting fruit/nut tree available, considering attractiveness and fruiting pattern.

It would not surpise me if the tree was planted because it is near an old home place. The house, now long vacant, is about 130 years old or so. I will try to get a pic.

BSK

pass-thru said:
BSK said:
pass-thru,

It would not surpise me if the tree was planted because it is near an old home place. The house, now long vacant, is about 130 years old or so. I will try to get a pic.

The best way to identify the tree is to look at empty husks on the ground. The Chinese Chestnut husks have long thin spikes, like a sea urchin, unlike the American Chestnut which have very short spines. You do NOT want to go barefoot around a Chinese Chestnut!

pass-thru

Here's some pics. Granted, "huge" is a relative term. It doesn't come close to many of the oaks on our place. The diameter of those 4 trunks is between 21-30". No idea how tall it is, but definately over 50'.

The husks are exactly what you described BSK. I guess I should have them clear the pines out from around the tree to give it some space?

pass-thru

I spoke with the forester tonight and he said it is one of the largest if not the largest of that species he has ever seen. Probably 100 years old. They will take all the pines out from around it.

Latest posts