Checking Zeros

Plateau Hunter

Got a few rifles out of the back of the safe readyrack today to check zeros for the opener and upcoming seasons.

The .260 needed some minor tweaking as did the .280. However the winner of today's shootoff was my .358. It is a woodstock Rem M78 that I rednecked painted several years ago and it put two 220g Speers within .6 just .2 out of the 10x crosshair at 105 yds. Now those big ole black stovepipe holes in the center of the target sure looked good after the rifle set in the safe for a year. So it will get the nod on opening morning-besides the .358 punches a big hole thru and thru that results in a short msssive blood trail if there is one. And they don't run down to the deepest most rugged holler to expire and be drug out.

I will check the .35 Rem 760 and .223:) Friday.

Good luck to you all. I am beginning to feel the fever. The woods were beautiful today and I am starting to see some small bucks traveling. I haven't seen any scrapes or rubs however. Plateau Hunter

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
Sounds like my kind of hunter. I've used the 358 Winchester and 35 Whelen both on deer and usually they're not DRT but there's a short trail that a blind man can follow to the deer. I'll take that anyday with the ability to shoot with less regard to body position. Last year I shot an 8 pointer that was at a quartering away angle downhill quite a bit and that big bullet went all the way through and took out the top of the heart. The deer ran maybe 25 yards and dropped. I've not used the 220 on a deer yet but would like to give it a try sometime. I've mostly used the 200 Hornady SP, the Nosler 225 Ballistic tip and the Nosler 225 Partition. I tried a Hornady 200 RN and didn't like the explosiveness at 35 Whelen velocities.

skynimrod

I checked my two rifles last weekend, tweaked a little.
Like you PH I will be toting my 444XLR to my 20 ft. ladder stand sitting on an oak ridge top, and it will hopefully be raining both H20 & blood splatters in Hickman County.
I will top off the afternoon with my 270 wsm in a 15 ft ladder stand over looking a new (last winter) clear cut, with my food plots in the back round at to about 250 yds. in Humphreys County.
Bring it on!

Latest posts