Cheap meat slicer?

catman529

Can anyone recommend a decent electric meat slicer under 100? Would like one for this upcoming season as I plan to make a lot of jerky.

Sent from the talk of tap

whiskey

I got a cheap one from Harbor Freight that works well for deer jerky. I get the meat a little frozen before slicing. It isn't good for slicing really thin, but works for me.

Wrangler95

Online at Walmart ,they have meat slicers in various price ranges,I'm also getting one for deer season.I found one at Walmart for 99.00 dollars that has great reviews!

catman529

Poser":1nquqxai said:
FYI: A friend gave me a cheap meat slicer -it performed so poorly on venison that it wasn't worth the hassle and I got rid of it. I'm able to slice thinner or more consistently with a sharp chefs knife until you get to the "prosumer" level of slicers. If you're not doing a lot of volume at once, (20+ lbs at a time) it's not even worth the hassle of having to clean up the slicer. Honestly, I'd consider investing in a top quality knife before buying a slicer unless I was converting whole deer into jerky or deli meat at once or commercial processing.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com
I always use a sharp knife and the issue is the meat has to be half way frozen which is a hassle and tough to time it right with my work schedule (and hunting schedule!) I do plan on doing large batches at a time, so I will benefit from a meat slicer.

catman529

Wrangler95":3g0cpc1b said:
Online at Walmart ,they have meat slicers in various price ranges,I'm also getting one for deer season.I found one at Walmart for 99.00 dollars that has great reviews!
I'll check it out, I like to buy something with good reviews and 99 is affordable

Vermin93

If you have an electric grinder, this is the mack daddy of all jerky slicers. I use this on my Cabela's 3/4 hp commercial-grade electric grinder and I love it.

http://www.wayfair.com/Weston-Stainless-Steel-Jerky-Slicer-Attachment-07-3301-W-WEN1012.html

If you don't have a suitable commercial-grade electric grinder, then Weston also makes some manual jerky slicers that clamp to your counter top. They can also be converted to a meat cuber to serve as dual-purpose devices. Here they are in action making jerky:

[youtube]htH3ESGNroM[/youtube]

[youtube]9RMRiX43eAs[/youtube]

Vermin93

Latest posts