Chasing in Shelby County

jbow

I just witnesed the largest buck I have seen this year both on camera or in person chasing a big group of does off the side of the highway. He was scattering them everywhere. Our peak of the rut is not usually until after Thanksgiving. Is this normal activity this far out?

Artemas

We've seen more bucks during the day the last week. Finally seeing fresh scraps and rubs but not a ton. I think it's that time of year that our bucks are starting to get in the mood even though the does aren't. Thanksgiving will be the right time as it is every year.

Crosshairy

I saw a pretty nice buck on some Belz property at mid-day today (12:45 PM) that was out in the middle of a big field beside a busy road with his nose to the ground, trotting slowly across.

It's the first half decent buck I've seen.

I agree - it seems like the buck movement is picking up earlier. I'd guess that it's this (relatively) consistent cool weather we are having. OF COURSE it's supposed to warm up more by this weekend...

I put most of my vacation days into the last week of November and first week of December based on last year's activity, but now I'm thinking that those may be a little late!

BuckMerker

Since it has been a whole I figured I would give this thread a little bump. Around the 4 of Nov I was seeing a lot of small bucks on their feet which made me think we we getting close. Over the last week or so there hasn't been much else to report. Still seeing a lot of small bucks but they aren't just crazy yet. Any other observations?

Skully

Saw a definate mature shooter on the way home from work today, pulled over and glassed it. Had his head down running from one side of a 2 acre field to another. Didn't see any other deer in the field but he was definately smelling something. In Shelby Co.

Mike Belt

I don't rule out a handful of does coming into heat earlier than the bulk of the rest of the herd, but other than that I don't believe the rut has started yet. The bucks are moving and being seen more the last week but the rut doesn't start until the does say so. The cooler temps are enabling us to see more daytime movement from the bucks anxious for the rut to begin. I bet you're still finding fresh scrapes. That's something you won't do for awhile once the rut kicks in.

Crosshairy...You picked the right time.

Latest posts