CFP will not expand before 2026

Mescalero

Correct decision. In the eight years of the CFP, I'd say most years there were only three teams truly worthy. Yes, in 2014/15 and 2017/18 the 4th seed, Ohio State and Alabama, respectively, won it all, but even in those playoffs, there was a least one team ahead in the seedings really not worthy (Florida State 2014/15 and Clemson 2017/18). Heck, Ohio State and Washington should not have been in for 2016.

I also think a 4 team playoff makes the regular season really good. Every game is so important every darn Saturday.

Trey13

Correct decision. In the eight years of the CFP, I'd say most years there were only three teams truly worthy. Yes, in 2014/15 and 2017/18 the 4th seed, Ohio State and Alabama, respectively, won it all, but even in those playoffs, there was a least one team ahead in the seedings really not worthy (Florida State 2014/15 and Clemson 2017/18). Heck, Ohio State and Washington should not have been in for 2016.

I also think a 4 team playoff makes the regular season really good. Every game is so important every darn Saturday.
Disagree… if you say every game matters in a 4 team playoff then more teams would put effort in to try to make it in the playoffs with a 8 or 12. Doesn't matter if some teams won't make it to the finals but it would make it more interesting for them.

THEdonkey0515

I'm fine with 8 teams I wouldn't want to see more then that I don't think.

Just looking at this year rankings we would have got.

Michigan vs Ohio State.
Notre Dame vs Georgia
Baylor vs Cincinnati
Oklahoma State vs bama

Those could have been some great games in round 1.

O yeah as college sports expand the playoffs to 8 then probaby 12+ its another step to becoming just like like NFL

Mescalero

Disagree… if you say every game matters in a 4 team playoff then more teams would put effort in to try to make it in the playoffs with a 8 or 12. Doesn't matter if some teams won't make it to the finals but it would make it more interesting for them.
I hear what you are saying, but if a team plays hard only as long as they have playoff hopes, that's a culture, players and staff problem. Plenty of teams play hard down the stretch with no hope while others mail it in. Expanding to 8, 12, 32 won't make the other 100 +\- play harder unless they already have it in them.

Mescalero

I'm fine with 8 teams I wouldn't want to see more then that I don't think.

Just looking at this year rankings we would have got.

Michigan vs Ohio State.
Notre Dame vs Georgia
Baylor vs Cincinnati
Oklahoma State vs bama

Those could have been some great games in round 1.

O yeah as college sports expand the playoffs to 8 then probaby 12+ its another step to becoming just like like NFL
I think you make my point, however. Case in point. My team, Ohio State. Dysfunctional defense. Didn't deserve a playoff spot. And it's hard to beat a team twice, just ask Alabama. Ohio State probably outscores UM the second time on a neutral field. And that makes The Game in the regular season less important.

Latest posts