Central Florida Bass

1908_Cubbies

I'm taking the family to Orlando in a few weeks to do the parks. I figured while they play with the giant rat, I'll wet a line. I've never fished fresh water in FL. What early fall colors do y'all throw when down there? I'll likely just be bank fishing.

Grnwing

If you re going to Disney, you may want to hire a guide at Magic Kingdom(Seven Seas Lagoon) or Epcot(Crescent Lake) those 2 are loaded with some quality fish and it makes for a unique fishing experience. They aren't as expensive as you would think for Disney. If you are hitting some of the canals and smaller lakes, I would start off with pumpkin seed/ green pumpkin worms. I love fishing the hydrilla mats and letting a weightless worm drop into the darkness. Early morning you can fish top water, again I would use a weighted flappin shad on top and let it sink in the holes. If you get into fishing any of the "pits" that have a hard bottom and not as weedy, go with 1/8 oz jighead and finesse worm. Very simple presentation but very effective during the later summer in those deeper lakes. Good luck!

fishboy1

Early morning or evening. Pop-R in baby bass color. Buzz bait in white. Spinner baits, frogs.
Daytime. Rapala husky jerk if not too weedy. Beatle spin, frogs in the pads, or 6" rubber worm in red/shad purple/shad colors pumpkin and motor oil work well too. Get the long curly tail style or spring lizzard. Texas rig with Hook-> weight-> bead -> small knot about 8" up from hook to stop the weight from going too far up the line.
Cast the worm across lilly pads and reel through them until you get to an opening, then let it sink. Probably need some heavier line to horse them out of the pads.
Don't be afraid to stir up the pads when the bite slows. I used to drive my boat through the pads to knock loose grass shrimp, and get the bait fish stirred up, then start catching bass. Oh and some sort of lunker lotion on the worm helps keep it from sticking to the pads and getting hung.

Spurhunter

fishboy1":16drernu said:
Texas rig with Hook-> weight-> bead -> small knot about 8" up from hook to stop the weight from going too far up the line.

Curious why you put your bead above the weight. I've only ever seen the bead below the weight so the weight clicks on it making a little noise. Also, I've started using VMC sinker stops. Every knot is a weak point so I prefer as few knots as possible. The VMC stops work great.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

fishboy1

Spur,
The purpose of the bead and knot is to keep the sinker from getting too far from the worm. Sounds like your sinker stop would work just as good if not better.
You want the worm to be able to snake through the pads, bumping and making a small ruckus. Then when you drop it through a hole, often the sinker will drop down the line away from the worm allowing the rig to snag in the V above the stem of the lilly pad.

Its a trip to watch the lilly pads get bumped as the bass follow the worm across the pads then hammer it when you let it sink.
Really its just a modified form of flipping that works pretty good from the bank.

Spurhunter

I understood why you wanted the weight to stay close to the worm. I just didn't understand why you put the bead above the sinker. I get it now. The bead keeps the knot from passing through the sinker. Makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest posts