Carp in pond with bread = awesome fun

basset

Catman, I was thinking of the pond next to the old Cozymel's restaurant near the mall, east side of 65. think the restaurant's called something else now.

BDS05

Gar.jpg

bowfishin.jpg

BigFish2.jpg

Y'all done got me all excited about it warming up again

catman529

basset said:
Catman, I was thinking of the pond next to the old Cozymel's restaurant near the mall, east side of 65. think the restaurant's called something else now.

I think I might know what pond you mean, is it the one right off the side of Carothers? Got to try that one also.

Crosshairy

I ate a grass carp once after catching it on a fly rod I had originally rigged for bream fishing.

There were a lot of them in this small lake, and they'd hit the surface like crazy after someone mowed the grass (they'd throw the grass towards the water).

I tied on a green dry fly and tossed it in front of them with the grass. After a few tries, I had one swallow the fly and peel off every inch of my line. I ended up chasing it down the bank, with nothing but the knot around the reel holding the fish on (the 4-lb test leader was pushed to its limits).

I finally got the fish to the bank, and a friend ended up getting in the water with it to pull it up on the bank. It weighed about 7 lbs, which might as well have been 15 on that light tackle - very FUN!

I filleted the carp and my dad put it in a pressure cooker - they have lots of crazy bones in the meat. The bones cooked down, and the meat became soft enough to form into patties. We breaded them and fried them, and I thought they tasted EXACTLY like salmon patties. In other words, they were fine, but nothing to get all worked up about.

All that said, it was so much work that I'll never do it again. It was fun to say that I did it, but #1 - someone paid to stock the fish in there at some point, and #2 - it's not worth the trouble for a fish that you have to do that much prep work for before getting to eat.

catman529

Crosshairy thanks for the advice...I was guessing they would have a lot of bones. Not worth picking out bones for sure...but heck they are fun to catch! I caught my first 2 on 10lb line and then went up to 15 or 17 cajun line after that...but maybe if I actually bring the landing net down to the pond, I'll go back to the lighter line. Not worth risking it when you use a lot of line strength keeping them at the bank so you can pull them up out of the water.

Latest posts