Carp in pond with bread = awesome fun

catman529

I'm a freshman in college and a few miles from my school in Brentwood TN there is a pond behind some restaurants by the road....full of carp, some look just like koi from a backyard pond and others look like regular colored carp. They go from around a foot long to 2 feet long, and all I have to do is throw some white bread pieces in the water to bring them in. They start rolling on the surface and eating the bread and then I'll float a piece on a hook and catch them right off the surface.

And then occasionally a big grey submarine will come up and silently eat a piece of bread, and then go back down. They are a LOT more easily spooked than the smaller carp. They're the big ole grass carp and the most fun to catch, in part because they're more of a challenge and also because they're so much bigger. They can push 3 feet long and I love when they run out a bunch of my line...nothing like the thrill of hooking a big one, even if it's a stocked carp in some random pond by the road.
154809_1637166203281_1060508090_1792971_3842880_n.jpg

Looks bigger in person than in the pic...at least 2 1/2 feet long

Oh and just so you all know I don't just fish with bread in ponds, I've been fishing in the Harpeth river for 7 years and I have to say that wild river fish put up a much better fight than any stocked pond fish, hands down. Something to do with the current in the river, makes them work harder to swim, so they fight harder. And more of a challenge to catch when they're wild and not used to humans throwing bread in to feed them and the ducks.

catman529

Dang that's a big fish, I need to find a place here where they get that big...do you eat them? I wouldn't eat them out of the pond I fish because of all the runoff from streets and parking lots in the area.

catman529

I got to look for some other rivers around here that may have them. If you dont eat them, what do you do with them? Throw them out because they're just pests or cut them up and use them for bait? I'd hate to waste so much fish. Supposedly they can be good eating...and they don't eat garbage like a lot of other fish so they're probably pretty clean. I don't know how they'd taste though.

catman529

yeah lol and in this pond sometimes the turtles will come after the bread as well...although lately I have had to deal with a very persistent duck that won't stop coming back for the bread no matter how many times I scare him off.

Blount County Hunter

I haven't ever went strictly carp fishing, but there is a nice golf course pond I like to hit up for monster bass, and have seen a couple carp in there almost 4-5 ft long, no joke, but haven't ever made an effort towards catching on, would you recommend homeade doughballs crunched in with cornflakes and water on a treble hook?

catman529

basset - which pond is that? haven't fished in cool springs yet. Give me a road name or something and I'll look into it.

Blount County Hunter - sounds like it would be fun catching some of those carp. I just use white bread, you can use a treble or a regular hook and pinch part of the bread. Leave some of it expanded to float, or pinch all the bread on the hook if you want it to sink.

Stovepipe - yeah I release the fish after I catch them. The pond is at least 2 acres just by guestimating. Plenty of carp to go around in there...

catman529

I do chum up with a handful or two of bread pieces. Gets them to the surface, that is, if they're in a surface feeding mood.

catman529

Dang it those are some nice fish. Great shot on the 2 gar...and what do you do with all those carp and buffalos after shooting them? Wish I had a place around here where they were that good. The Harpeth river is small so they don't get much bigger than 10 pounds but there are still buffs, carp, and plenty of gar in there and I've gone and snagged some of the buffalos in the past.

Latest posts