Card Reader

sc8point

I am thinking about getting a trail card reader. After researching I can't find exactly what I need. Is there a reader that will let you scan photos, save what you want to keep, delete the photos on the card and let you load the photos onto a computer once home? Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

TheLBLman

For me, the best solution has been to always just exchange out the SD cards.

I want to minimize the time I'm in the vicinity of the cam.

Walking away with the pic-heavy SD card, I have the option of soon looking at it,
either on my phone or a laptop, but away from the cam setup.
Often swap cards on a cam either walking to or from a stand on hunting days.
Then may or may not look at the pics while on stand, but it's an option.

But with all, they are loaded onto a computer, with nothing being deleted until all pics have been viewed on a large screen (too easy to miss stuff on a smaller screen).

BSK

ONN USB/Micro-USB, SD and Micro-SD card reader. They go for $8.99 at Walmart. Been using one in the field and on my home PC for a couple of years.
This is what I use. I get these because I still have some of the old reconyx's which take the big cards. The standard ones are about $12. I just take a screen shot of every picture I want to save, then "delete all" on the card. As LBLman said, I also exchange cards to minimize time at the target site.
Just remember that when you "screen-shot" an image on your phone, you're not capturing the image in its full resolution, just the resolution of your phone's screen.

JCDEERMAN

ONN USB/Micro-USB, SD and Micro-SD card reader. They go for $8.99 at Walmart. Been using one in the field and on my home PC for a couple of years.

Just remember that when you "screen-shot" an image on your phone, you're not capturing the image in its full resolution, just the resolution of your phone's screen.
Good point. It serves my purposes for personal inventory, but if I was in your profession, I wouldn't be using my method.

Shed Hunter

Is it one for a phone? I bought my dad the one for a computer I think you're referring to. The ONN products work really well. I'll definitely get one for my phone if I can find one. I'm almost inclined to believe it's more of an issue with iPhones and their inability to work with any kind of charger or anything that isn't an Apple product.

I use to carry a laptop with me, but that stopped when I caught a vine with my boot and shattered the screen which happens embarrassingly often as quick as I move through the woods to get to all of my cameras lol

BSK

Is it one for a phone? I bought my dad the one for a computer I think you're referring to.
The one I have works on both, although the Micro-USB plug-in may not be long enough for a phone with certain thick cases. In that situation, I use a flexible cable card reader made by Insignia.

Mr.Bro

ok hear goes. Asked a few months ago if anyone has tried one. All said i was crazy to buy a $300 viewer. I didnt. Scheels offered a $70 credit when applying for their Visa card. Took the offer.
the Lowdown allows you to view your cards then transferr to a saver card. Use a 128 gb for this. Scan your camera card, find a keeper? Hit save and it transfers it to your save card. Scan, save, then erase and format. 9 in screen or 8 pics at a once on a 7in screen. Scan as fast as you can scroll. Still slow if viewing 760 10 second videos as i did while sitting in a tree yesterday afternoon. Worth every second spent.
Download to computer? Well you will end up with many many less pics and videos. Usually a 1,000 pics i may save 20 or less.
Best fun money i ever spent.

BSK

I just swap in a new $11 64 GB card. Super easy. Take home the card with pictures, look at it on PC, keep what you want.

Personally, I keep them all. Now that I'm doing video, I save everything to a 2 terabyte portable solid-state drive ($70).

Latest posts