Can't wait until fall!!! (Give a dog 2 years)

cruff10

WOW i'm so excited right now. I have a small briddle fiest I was about to give up on. She was born in December 2007, so when she turned a year old it was about perfect. She didn't have much interest in caged squirrels, didn't care about a squirrel tail. I decided to keep her for one more season. I decided to let her loose around the house and run with one of my male dogs. He was treeing everything at the house and she came ALIVE! Starting treeing everything here as well! Her only prooblem was digging out ground squirrels and not staying at the tree when I got to her. Finally about 3 weeks ago I found her looking up a tree barking then seen the squirrel jump out of the tree! So then I knew she was just now starting to come along!

Today I took her out with me on a walk to set out a deer salt lick. In 10 min she started barking, we got to her then heard the leaves a shaking, she followed it and came back to the tree and barked again! Sure enough there was two squirrels in there. Then we started setting out the salt when she barked AGAIN!!! Go to her and she left and came back. I have found out she is leaving if she can't see the squirrel any more, with the leaves on I understand.

So her she is now 18 months old and now starting to pour it on!!!! I've always heard give a dog 2 years or 2 good seasons and i'm staring to believe it!

David

That is awsome. My dog may be on its way, in its own type..... It will chase squirrels to trees and stand there and look at them but wont bark. The dang dog actually caught one in the back yard, put it in its mouth held it for about 2 seconds then let it go and just looked at it run off and started chasing it again.

Crazy dog....

Winchester

I hope your right, we have two teeing fists that were a year old in January. Hopefully by this december they will be treeing.

cruff10

David said:
That is awsome. My dog may be on its way, in its own type..... It will chase squirrels to trees and stand there and look at them but wont bark. The dang dog actually caught one in the back yard, put it in its mouth held it for about 2 seconds then let it go and just looked at it run off and started chasing it again.

Crazy dog....

My oldest dog did this for the longest. She would stay at the tree until you go there.

Let me give you some words of advise. NEVER, I mean NEVER shoot the squirrel out until the dog barks! I would shot the squirrel out when she was young and before she barked and it took my 3 years to get it out of her.

Once the dog finds the squirrel, tie her back on another tree looking at the squirrel. Set there until she barks then shoot it out. the first time I did this took 30 min. Now she barks without a problem.

This is sally now..

http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthr ... ost1141186

cruff10

Yep, with the new deer seasons we (small game hunters) are screwed. Can't take the dogs to the woods without running over someone. Catoosa is the only place we got sometimes.