Can't shut just one.....

Shanman

eye at a time. Took my stepson (12) out Saturday to shoot his new guns and he is having a hard time with the rifle and scope, shotgun he never complained about. He is like me, left eye dominate and right handed, but when he closes his left eye to aim he can't hardly keep his right open enough, right eye looks like a really tight squint. He didn't complain until about the 3rd or 4th shot, his eye started watering and jerking so we stopped. Any of you guys been through this with your kids or someone you know???

sallee-bo

I'm left eye dominate and right handed. Heck I can barely scratch my head left handed. Been shooting with right eye open,left eye closed all my life. Never had any problems.

MUP

sallee-bo":1wqcxrg7 said:
I'm left eye dominate and right handed. Heck I can barely scratch my head left handed. Been shooting with right eye open,left eye closed all my life. Never had any problems.

Same for me with a rifle. I acquire the target both eyes open, then shut my left eye to focus for the shot.

fairchaser

You can adapt to shooting from your non dominant eye. However at some level it will prevent you from not being able to shoot as well as you could. For many years I shot my compound bow right handed even though I shot everything else LH due to my dominant left eye. I got along fine or so I thought. But, I wasn't following through on my shots trying to see where my arrow was going. Once I switched to a LH rig my shooting improved considerably. If I was helping a young person I would save them a lot of grief by making them shoot with their dominant eye. They will thank you later!

sallee-bo

I understand what you're saying but at 62 I'm not going to try to learn to shoot left handed. As long as I can still shoot sub moa I'll stick with it.

fairchaser

sallee-bo":2ozurxom said:
I understand what you're saying but at 62 I'm not going to try to learn to shoot left handed. As long as I can still shoot sub moa I'll stick with it.

I'm 61 so I know what you mean! It's tough to change at this point. I changed to a left hand bow in my 40's and thought it would be difficult but I found it much easier than I thought. The shotgun shooting I would think would be more difficult to shoot with the off eye especially on passing shots but also harder to change shoulders because it feels so awkward mounting the gun. Im not sure why I started shooting the way I did except I probably couldn't look down the barrel any other way.

MR Yote

Try just putting an eyepatch over his left eye but keeping it open while he sights down scope/barrel with his right eye and right handed. Worked for my wife. Good luck.

pressfit

Get him some shooting glasses, put scotch tape over the left lens, it will blur the vision enough that his right eye will take over.. we do this all the time with the trap shooting kids

pressfit

Like this

Attachments

• IMG_2157.PNG
    IMG_2157.PNG
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,067

Shanman

Pressfit.....coworker suggested using a marker or electrical tape and letting just a little light through. Glad you showed me this, I'll try the scotch and see what happens.

Jon54

I'm right handed and left eye dominant as well. I bought a stock from Boyd's that is made for a right handed bolt gun for a left handed shooter. I almost can't shoot right handed after practicing left handed.

Latest posts