Can they detect the scent you left on the camera?

BSK

Oh yes they can! I get tons of videos like that, usually the first time a deer encounters a camera in a new location. They stare at it, they sniff it.

Bgoodman30

Oh yes they can! I get tons of videos like that, usually the first time a deer encounters a camera in a new location. They stare at it, they sniff it.
I am not sure I uploaded this video right? I am loving this new Tactacam with videos. I have plenty of pics with does nosing my cam but first video. Very cool!

BSK

The strange thing is, deer will sniff the camera and then go about their business instead of freaking out. I'm positive they can smell me on the camera. Maybe there's just too much else in the woods (like ladder stands), also covered in human scent, for them to freak on every human scent encounter.

Ski

Hahaha great video! That right there is exactly why I quit hanging cameras at deer height. I now hang mine 6'-8' high, pointed down. Not only are they not sniffed by the deer, they're rarely even noticed unless it's on video & not a no-glow. I've learned the hard way that any camera that's going to be on video mode needs to be a good no-glow camera or else they'll look right up at it. On most cams and any cam on public I take a climbing stick with me. But for community scrapes and sign posts with video cams, I leave the stick in place so I can get in & out fast with minimal scent left behind. It all makes a difference.

Latest posts