Bush hogging

cecil30-30

So on our 67 acres there is about a 4 acre field and a smaller 1 acre field. The previous owner Bush bogged once every 3 or 4 years. So as it stands now we maybe on year 4 or 5. I dont want to let it get any thicker. There are trees starting to stand out and massive black berry thickets and all the other weeds/brush is about chest high. The deer love it and I'm sure it provides alot of food for them through the winter. So I wasn't sure when the best time to bush hog it would be. I was thinking right before the spring green up and that way it will have all spring and summer to regenerate. I was thinking of putting it on a 3 year mowing schedule. Any thoughts? Maybe get it back to square 1 and then mow strip through it every few years? Here is a ariel view of the field. Cant really tell much from it. I plan to erect a permanent shooting house in it after season.
Screenshot_20210929-205055_Maps.jpg

huvrman

I wouldn't let it go more than 2 years. Saplings can get away from you before you know it, and once they get too big to bushhog, you've got a monumental and expensive problem On your hands. Mow it all early in the spring, then your plots again in the fall before planting.

wildlifefarmer

Looking at the overhead, your access road cuts it in half. Make a fire break(12 to16 ft wide food plot) arround the outside of the field plus using your road as a break. Burn each side alternating everyother year or 3. You will always have cover and food. Enjoy the process as you go along.

JArender

on my field like that. one is 10 acres I break them into 1/3s and mow a different 1/3 every year. if I have a field with some type of fast growing sappling I typically try to hit it on 1 half's every year. but always cut a strip out and back to any permanent stand down the middle every year. it's not perfect but works for me and keeping unnecessary hours down on my equipment

JArender

on my field like that. one is 10 acres I break them into 1/3s and mow a different 1/3 every year. if I have a field with some type of fast growing sappling I typically try to hit it on 1 half's every year. but always cut a strip out and back to any permanent stand down the middle every year. it's not perfect but works for me and keeping unnecessary hours down on my equipment
also I do this right before spring green up and then late september i'll make a couple trips around the boundary and cut the shooting lane again.

Latest posts