bullets for 1911 A1 GI

Nsghunter

My 1911 (.45 springfield A1 GI) only seems to feed ball nose Ammunition.It doesn't feed well related to the feed ramp being too steep, is what i was told by an avid shooter. Is anyone familiar with this type of problem? What type of bullet would you recommend for handloading to target shoot?

7mminatree

1911's feed problems are mostly due to magazine issues. An A1 GI should not have a steep feed angle unless someone has been grinding the feed ramp. You didn't say what kind of jams you where having. Be it stovepipes or stoppages. Try some different good quality magazines first and see if the same type of jam is exhibited. Try a little ATF fluid on the slide ramp area. Post a pic of the jam type.

Nsghunter

The slide doesn't always advance is the most typical problem. Sometimes i just have to push it forward 1/8 to a 1/4 inch to fully feed. I have had less then 3 stovepipe with flat nose but 0 with ball nose. It is a low round gun less than 200 rounds possibly. The gun was sold new and should not have had any work to the ramp. My magazines may be bad. I keep them loaded during storage for the entire 8 years I've owned it. They are shooting star brand I believe. Thanks for the help and what recommendation do you make for magazines?

Latest posts