Building a Sanctuary

Bone Collector

The thread about holding mature bucks got me thinking on this again. I have been pondering how i can do this for years, as I have seen what Andy S said about having 3-5 acres of impenetrable thicket and not going in unless you have to.

I have tried to do this, but always end up quitting as I have no heavy equipment and renting is probably not a possibility.

I only have 32 acres, and it is thick to say the least, but it is thick, because even where there are abundant hardwoods, there is cedar growing in the under story. I want to make a nasty thicket, but the idea of trying to clear cut an area 2-3 acres with just a chain saw, is not appealing. I am also worried if I do cut all the big cedar and possibly leave a few oaks, that the only thing that will grow will be cedar, and I need briers, tall grass and small saplings to grow.

I have an idea of what i want in my mind, but even if I were to get it all cleared, I have a feeling the only thing that will grow will be sage grass, and cedar. Does anyone have any ideas of how to make a thick nasty thicket grow up? The soil is not good and it is rocky, so if I were to get an area cleared:

1. Would i have to fertilize/lime?
2. should i bring in non native species (honeysuckle, etc.)?

MUP

My property is all wooded as well, but my neighbor decided to work a deal with bowater and let them access their land to cut pines thru his property, and then let them clear cut a swath of his place getting to theirs. It has worked out great for me, and that clear cut has grown up and is some really thick and nasty stuff now. Perfect for deer to hide in. They just cut the useable timber, and left smaller trees, and some tops here and there, and it grew up just fine by itself. It actually made my property a woodline now. :)

treefarmer

Cedar and broom sedge work for a thicket. Consider using a chainsaw to cut down (deaden stumps with herbicide) "junk" trees. This will improve your forest and let sunlight in to allow the briars/grass/saplings to get in. Decide which trees are keepers (oaks, poplar, dogwood, etc.) and cut/deaden any of the rest. You don't have to cut everything to make a difference, just what you have the energy to do. You can do it on weekends this winter and can improve several acres in a day. I have done it on my place for the past 7 winters and have improved the forest. Learn your trees and maybe invite the Division of Forestry Area Forester to stop by for a free visit to get their advice.

buckaroo

Chain saw and time, I've been doing this for 15 yrs, actually enjoy it as much as hunting, looking forward to the progress, you will be amazed at the difference in couple of years

Ridgewalker1

You can hinge cut. It will open the canopy and keep the tree alive which will create a thick bedding area. Look up Jim Ward on YouTube. His channel is all about habitat improvement on small tracts of land. There are alot of good channels dedicated to this subject but his will get you started in the right direction. I'm with buckaroo as I enjoy the whole process. It keeps me busy and in the woods when possible during the off season and I'm much more successful during the season. All I do is create or improve existing bedding areas, improve or encourage use on certain trails that work well with prevailing winds, make licking branches and rubbing posts and a mineral site mostly for trail cams. Once you start it will become as fun as hunting as you will see what works and what doesn't. It takes time but every year your property will become more and more desirable habitat wise for not just deer but all animals. Goodluck have fun.

MAGA

bunch of ways to do this, as some ways have already been mentioned.
You could also pay someone to come in with a bulldozer and just clear it that way.
You can try poison and control burns also.

Bone Collector

Ridgewalker1":1jtwy9c0 said:
You can hinge cut. It will open the canopy and keep the tree alive which will create a thick bedding area. Look up Jim Ward on YouTube. His channel is all about habitat improvement on small tracts of land. There are alot of good channels dedicated to this subject but his will get you started in the right direction. I'm with buckaroo as I enjoy the whole process. It keeps me busy and in the woods when possible during the off season and I'm much more successful during the season. All I do is create or improve existing bedding areas, improve or encourage use on certain trails that work well with prevailing winds, make licking branches and rubbing posts and a mineral site mostly for trail cams. Once you start it will become as fun as hunting as you will see what works and what doesn't. It takes time but every year your property will become more and more desirable habitat wise for not just deer but all animals. Goodluck have fun.

this is what i started last year (Hinge cuts), but I think i did too little. I need to go in and actually clear some stuff to allow stuff to grow from the forest floor.

AT Hiker

I'm going to hinge cut some this year and see what it does. Some of the nastiest stuff I've been in is a tornado aftermath, basically Mother Nature did a hinge cut in about 20secs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csi-tech

The more the better. I have 50 acres of nasty overgrown briars and sumac that we simply can't get into. I also have 100 acres of hardwoods that are never hunted or even walked during season. I have essentially made the best bedding and sanctuary in the area. I like the look of those lush, green firlds, but the truth is the edges are all you ever really see activity on. If you are lazy, like me, and just cut some trails through the nasty stuff with a 5' bush hog your laziness will be rewarded, mine sure has been. I walked a 115" 7 point last week and a 120" 8 the week before. Great season. My buddy and I have each taken a 120 class 8 point this year.

Bone Collector

csi-tech":1t7s6ty6 said:
The more the better. I have 50 acres of nasty overgrown briars and sumac that we simply can't get into. I also have 100 acres of hardwoods that are never hunted or even walked during season. I have essentially made the best bedding and sanctuary in the area. I like the look of those lush, green firlds, but the truth is the edges are all you ever really see activity on. If you are lazy, like me, and just cut some trails through the nasty stuff with a 5' bush hog your laziness will be rewarded, mine sure has been. I walked a 115" 7 point last week and a 120" 8 the week before. Great season. My buddy and I have each taken a 120 class 8 point this year.

I wish I had 150 acres....

Winchester

Thick is great, but a Sanctuary doesnt have to be impenetrable to work, it simply has to offer safety from human pressure. As long as its NEVER hunted and rarely if ever entered it will usually do the job, especially in areas surrounding with heavy hunting pressure. Ive saw Sanctuarys 1/4 acre in size that were nothing more than an overlooked niche where nobody ever went, worked like a charm!

Bone Collector

Winchester":e9ysioen said:
Thick is great, but a Sanctuary doesnt have to be impenetrable to work, it simply has to offer safety from human pressure. As long as its NEVER hunted and rarely if ever entered it will usually do the job, especially in areas surrounding with heavy hunting pressure. Ive saw Sanctuarys 1/4 acre in size that were nothing more than an overlooked niche where nobody ever went, worked like a charm!

The thing is to my best knowledge (and I don;t think we ever really know for sure what deer do) the deer are not bedding on my property. They merely pass through, so if you are not there at the right time, good luck.

I was hoping if i made a thick nasty impenetrable thicket they may start bedding on my place. The area I have in mind is an area no one goes into ever unless a deer is shot and runs in there. it is mainly just cedar with some hardwoods mixed in. I was hoping if I opened it up and exposed the soil, maybe even limed and fertilized that a bunch of briers, sage grass, and saplings will grow. I also contemplated trying to transplant some honeysuckle in it.

I've been kicking the idea around for 3 years, and started to do some hinge cutting in the area, but i have not gone full on commando on it and really cut down the existing canopy.

Os2 Outdoors

Bone Collector":1fybrwyw said:
Winchester":1fybrwyw said:

The thing is to my best knowledge (and I don;t think we ever really know for sure what deer do) the deer are not bedding on my property. They merely pass through, so if you are not there at the right time, good luck.

I was hoping if i made a thick nasty impenetrable thicket they may start bedding on my place. The area I have in mind is an area no one goes into ever unless a deer is shot and runs in there. it is mainly just cedar with some hardwoods mixed in. I was hoping if I opened it up and exposed the soil, maybe even limed and fertilized that a bunch of briers, sage grass, and saplings will grow. I also contemplated trying to transplant some honeysuckle in it.

I've been kicking the idea around for 3 years, and started to do some hinge cutting in the area, but i have not gone full on commando on it and really cut down the existing canopy.
I could write for days on this. Cover is #1 but a short tipe I have is location is key as well when it comes to cover.

South-South East facing hillside Ive found is best. Also along with hinge cutting. You can also girdle larger undesirable trees as well with a chainsaw. Make sure you cut at least 3" deep all the way around to cut through the cambrium of the tree.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

AllOutdoors

Os2 Outdoors":24icc929 said:
Bone Collector":24icc929 said:
Winchester":24icc929 said:

I could write for days on this. Cover is #1 but a short tipe I have is location is key as well when it comes to cover.

South-South East facing hillside Ive found is best. Also along with hinge cutting. You can also girdle larger undesirable trees as well with a chainsaw. Make sure you cut at least 3" deep all the way around to cut through the cambrium of the tree.

What is it about south facing slopes that you feel make them the best?

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

Os2 Outdoors

AllOutdoors":dogfdb9b said:
Os2 Outdoors":dogfdb9b said:
Bone Collector":dogfdb9b said:
Winchester said:

What is it about south facing slopes that you feel make them the best?

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk
Warming sunlight for the deer on cold days, along with higher growth rate of the browse an cover. More sunlight=faster growth

Bone Collector

Os2 Outdoors":2xl0i2jx said:
Bone Collector":2xl0i2jx said:
Winchester":2xl0i2jx said:

I know the south facing hillside trick for warmth but I have no hills... it's pretty flat.

Os2 Outdoors

Bone Collector":1wxtt3tk said:
Os2 Outdoors":1wxtt3tk said:
Bone Collector":1wxtt3tk said:
Winchester said:

I know the south facing hillside trick for warmth but I have no hills... it's pretty flat.

In this situation I would try an find some kind of high ground. Doesn't have to be much. Just a slight hump or change in elevation will do it.

Latest posts