bucks with pencil thin racks..

TNReb

Since moving back to TN within the last year... it's time to start getting a little more serious about the deer. I had intentions of getting food plots in this spring/summer... and just never did it. Next year I'm not going to slack on it. I'm tired of seeing bucks like this with no mass. :(

What do ya'll guess? 2.5 years? Might be decent if he hangs around a couple years and beefs up.

Click to zoom.

Another angle.. this one makes him look younger than the first one.

Click to zoom.

BSK

In my opinion, that's a fantastically healthy yearling buck. I don't think you have any nutrition problem if that caliber of buck is commonplace.

TNReb

BSK said:
In my opinion, that's a fantastically healthy yearling buck. I don't think you have any nutrition problem if that caliber of buck is commonplace.

We see these... every... single... year. Young bucks with that type of rack. It's been about 10 years since I've taken a buck off that property. I admit I'm not heavily in to QDMA, but we do try to take off several does.

It would seem to me there is plenty around for them to eat (soy beans, hay fields, etc)..

Admittedly, I've lived in NC the last several years and only been able to hunt a few days each season. I've spent those days in the fields, knowing the older bucks are probably staying in the thicker stuff. Time to get after them a little more this year.

Southern Sportsman

It may not be translating into yall seeing mature deer for some reason, but if yall are seeing tons of deer like that, then I dont think there is ANY problem with nutrition.

monsterbuck07

I would not complain at all if your "yearling" deer all look like that. If you see them every year, then your bound to have some good ones running around.

TNReb

pmtom_99 said:
Nyper stinks and runs off all the mature deer.

Or maybe I don't see the big ones because my hunting partner is always a half hour late and I'm waiting on him.

catman529

Nyper said:
BSK said:

We see these... every... single... year. Young bucks with that type of rack. It's been about 10 years since I've taken a buck off that property. I admit I'm not heavily in to QDMA, but we do try to take off several does.

It would seem to me there is plenty around for them to eat (soy beans, hay fields, etc)..

Admittedly, I've lived in NC the last several years and only been able to hunt a few days each season. I've spent those days in the fields, knowing the older bucks are probably staying in the thicker stuff. Time to get after them a little more this year.
either someone's killing em all young or you aren't hunting in the right places, I bet you got a few monsters there somewhere. I rarely deer hunt fields

TNReb

RUGER said:
Good looking young buck for sure.

You missed ALOT of good food Saturday evening dude.

Man... I would like to have stopped by. The pace of play was soooo slooooow at Paris Landing. By the time we finished I had to hurry up and get on the road (drove back to Lebanon that evening).