Buck sparring pictures

BSK

Ruger's "wanna fight?" thread got me thinking about trail-camera pictures of bucks sparring. So lets see them!

Here's a couple of mine:

MUP

ICAM0876_zps2e53b393.jpg

ICAM0873_zpsf0a58d04.jpg

And this one is entered in the funny pic category of the tcam contest. If you look closely, you can see the recipient's mouthpiece flying out. :grin:

ICAM0880_zps503ed6af.jpg

infoman jr.

I got several last fall. Here are a few.

I got to watch this one from the treestand. In fact, I got to my stand while the deer were in front of the camera (within 15 yards), climbed up and got all of my gear ready while they were fighting. It was one of my most memorable hunts last fall.

BSK

I don't know what it was, but last year I got more sparring pictures in that one year than I've gotten in all other years combined.

Mike Belt

Why can't we all just get along? That's exactly why I see so many broken racked bucks during hunting season. That has saved several really good bucks in front of me from a bullet.

BSK

MUP said:
BSK said:
Very cool MUP. I've never gotten pictures of bucks sparring in velvet.

I had always heard that most broken antlers, and even deformaties, were a result of sparring while still in velvet. Have you any data on this instance?

Nope. But it makes sense.

mossyhorns300

Last year, we had a big surge in sparring pics around the 2nd week of November. These were a couple from 2 different food plots from that week.

cchc5300.jpg

cchc5298.jpg

nov2012033.jpg

nov2012027.jpg

nov2012022.jpg

Older pic from a couple of years ago. This was an 8 and a 10 that were sparring and they ran together all summer. I ended up killing the 10 point that was sparring in the background later that year on New Year's Eve.

trailcampics058.jpg

Outdoor Enthusiast

BSK - do you have dates for your photos? I am interested to know when you get a surge of sparring. Based on photos from my area, we see a surge the second week of October.

BSK

Outdoor Enthusiast said:
BSK - do you have dates for your photos? I am interested to know when you get a surge of sparring. Based on photos from my area, we see a surge the second week of October.

Hadn't even thought of that, but when I checked, you're right. Most of the pictures I posted were taken in the Oct. 11 through 16 range.

benellivol

I tried to video two small bucks fighting on my phone last season. The video was crap, but it was cool to watch.

I've seen about a 90 inch 8 pointer go after a spike and the spike stuck him right below the eye. The 8 pointer started snorting and shaking his head and eventually left the little guy alone.

Sorry to derail the thread

Latest posts