buck already dropped his antlers

splitter

pretty surprised to see this already but you'll notice this deer has an injury on his left front leg which i'm guessing put alot of stress on his body and his antlers are gone now. any guesses snake bite? broken foot?
MDGC0005.jpg

MDGC0004.jpg

MDGC0001-1.jpg

BSK

Ouch! have no idea what that injury is, but I bet you're right about the injury causing early antler shed.

Good time Charlie

H e has dropped his horns because of lack of Testosterone..
which means he has other issues...I do not think a foot or leg
would cause premature shedding.Just my opinion. The horns are developed ..no blood running through them ...I find it hard
to think an injury like a foot would cause enough stress on the deer to cause him or" her" to shed.This deer just looks like it might be one of them Doe's with horns
And splitter I fully understand the corn thing,I to like to feed year round to see what is out there.No acorns here it may help some make it..And you can get some nice pics..just do not put out to much ...it will ruin and hurt the deer more then help.

Good time Charlie

I was going to start a post about this ,but since you have one ...do not mean to hi-jack.
Does this one look like it has dropped?

DSC02951-1.jpg

Here is the pic before I cropped it.

DSC02951.jpg

This one gives him away ...displaying buck behavior...unless it is just a doe eating LOL

DSC02936.jpg

pharmboy

That is interesting. Injury could be from anything? I shot a injured buck about 10 years ago on December 31st. He was a 5 point when I shot him. I hit him low behind his front legs. I jumped him right at dark so I decided to come back the next day. I jumped him the next day and he had lost both of his antlers. Thought it was a doe until I saw blood on the snow. I tracked it and put it out of his misery only to find it was my deer. I never found the antlers. I gutted him and took him to be processed. The butcher called me the next day to tell me that he found a broadhead in the shoulder and that the deers body was full of infection (puss) and he disposed of the entire carcass.

Latest posts