BSKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!! I need some help.

.300 WSM

I planted an acre of Imperial Chickory plus about three to four weeks ago. I can't see any growth. I expected that the clover portion of that would not show up untill the fall because it would be building a root base now. Is that going to be the case with the chickory too or should I be seeing some chickory popping up?

RKenney

I'm not BSK, but I would say....more rain....more heat....and
more humidity. The weather still ain't right for this time of
year. I am just thinking back.....over times gone by. 20 or 30
years ago or less, tomato plant were in the ground by now. I'm
sure some are in the ground now, but they will be delayed.

.300 WSM

I would have said the same thing but given the plant dates by the manufacturer:(Whitetail Institute) I was smack dab in the middle to early. I guess I could e-mail them. I figure that some guys who have planted this stuff in the spring could chime in and I alsio figured that BSK would know too.

BSK

Chicory is a late growing plant. It puts on most of its growth in July and August, so I wouldn't be shocked if it isn't growing rapidly now.

primos32

I planted some chicory and clover back in late march and mine is coming up but its slow... its not imperial but its biologic.

.300 WSM

I've tried a few products from Biologic that I didn't have any success with. I'm not ready to blame Biologic but rather some stupid deer that didn't know what Brassicas were. I've been using Imperial's products with good success, so I just have been reluctant to switch.

A

Anonymous

I bought some of the whitetail chicory/clover from my co-op and after planting it I noticed that the date had expired for the enoculant that had been used. It was out of date by almost a full year. ( Its on the bottom of the bag in very small letters. I hope it will come up but so far nothing.

deerchaser007

BSK said:
Chicory is a late growing plant. It puts on most of its growth in July and August, so I wouldn't be shocked if it isn't growing rapidly now.

Not true. Chicory planted in the fall and allowed to establish a good root system starts growing fast in the spring. My tecomate is around 5 to 8 inches tall.

I've said this several times on here ,. spring plantings of clover/chicory has a MUCH higher risk of being killed out due to the fact it takes months (not weeks) to establish a proper root system. By the time it gets started , the heat and dry weather will burn it up. BUT,.. a fall planted clover/chicory plot has had 6 months of root establishment and has a MUCH higher survivability.

You gonna have to give it time,.. its a perennial plot,.. not a fast growing annual!!

BSK

deerchaser007 said:
BSK said:

Not true. Chicory planted in the fall and allowed to establish a good root system starts growing fast in the spring. My tecomate is around 5 to 8 inches tall.

True deerchaser007. But I believe the question was about chicory planted in spring, not fall.

BSK

Mowing it is fine. The new regrowth is generally more tender and palatable to deer than the mature growth. Just don't mow it too low. Generally mowing down to 6 inches tall is fine.

.300 WSM

I normally plant my Clover in the fall, I just bought a Blynd hunting stand for when I take my kids hunting and I wanted something for them to hunt over that my draw some deer in. I knew that if I waiterd till the fall that I wouldn't have anything to hunt till the next season.

I'm not much on planting annuals. I'd rather do it once and make it lasts for a few years.

I e-mailed someone from the Institute and asked about the Spring planting dates, they said to go ahead and plant. I could see some small clover starting to poke through the ground, I was thinking that the chickory shoudl beat the clover up out of the ground.

Latest posts