Some Beech Somewhere

Ski

Found this tree today so I started looking around at the other beech trees and found another nearby that was also loaded. I don't see bumper crops of beechnuts very often. Gona hang a camera and stand this weekend on it! I've always loved hunting dropping beech trees.

Attachments

• 20230818_123218.jpg
    20230818_123218.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 81
  • 20230818_132345.jpg
    20230818_132345.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 82

mike243

Squirrels love them, was hunting southern Il 1 year and a heavy crop of those had squirrels and all kind of birds tearing the tree's up, made it really hard to get a shot as they wouldn't set still long enough for a head shot, moved away from them and got a limit quickly, think it was 4 a day so reckon that aint saying much lol, looked at a huge beech tree 3 weeks ago and it was loaded, love to measure the tree as I have never seen 1 that big. too much poison ivy around it for me to mess with it.

mike243

I have read every other year , I have a persimmon tree I look at every year and always has some, I remember in my youth picking beech nuts off a tree while coon hunting with my step dad, long time ago lol

Ski

I have read every other year , I have a persimmon tree I look at every year and always has some, I remember in my youth picking beech nuts off a tree while coon hunting with my step dad, long time ago lol

Yeah I've read that too but never seen it in reality. I've seen trees go years and years without nuts, then out of the blue one year it'll be hammered. And yeah I think persimmons produce every year.

bowhunterfanatic

Buddy of mine told me the ones he's looked at so far this year in our area are loaded. I can't wait to shoot a few squirrels out of them. It's my absolute favorite tree to hunt them in even though I don't get just a whole lot of opportunity to do so.

Ski

Well! Some of a Beech. I'll have to look at the few I have left standing.

I once saw a beech, ash, and sugar maple growing so close together they looked like they were growing from the same root. I was trying to come up with a catchy caption but wasn't witty enough. Something about a sweet ash beech was as close as I got lol.

Latest posts