BSK or anyone

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
BSK,
I noticed on another thread you gave some advice to avoid the Primos cameras?

I was just wondering why?

What all kinds of issues have you, and anyone else, seen from them ?

CAW

Ruger, I will chime in...

Of all the Chinese cams, Primos has got to be one of the worst. Primos needs to stick to building calls. Their cameras and their customer service on their cameras just very well may ruin their reputation in the outdoor industry.

If you are going Chinese, I would buy Covert.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
What specific issues do they have?

Just curious as I bought one last week and it took over 2,000 pics and still had 98% of the battery life left.

Do they not last long?

CAW

Oh, some of them will take great pics at first. But more than likely, the day will come when you pull a card and the camera will be dead and will not turn back on, the pics will be all white or all black, batteries will not last a day, you name it. And that day will probably be sooner rather than later. Of course, you could get lucky and have one that lasts 2 years as well.

I've been running all sorts of cameras for years. The only Chinese cams that I would ever buy again are the Coverts. And it's not even close.

Sorry to be so blunt, just trying to give you some honest feedback.

CAW

I certainly understand that. Covert is really good about swapping out cameras, the IR model would not be a bad choice.

volsfan1976

Ruger,

I have 7 of the truth cams out right now. The first 3 I got from amazon for about $83 a piece. I got hooked so I bought 4 more refurbished from Natchez. No kidding last year I ran the first 3 on a single set of batteries each from end of sept. till end of march. On two of them I know I got over 35000 pics on a single set of batteries. I was amazed. I had it set to 3 pics every 10 sec and I put out trophy rock and that's why I got so many. But as of this past Wednesday they are still taking many pics. Now I know I'm probably very lucky but I have had great luck with them. Of the 4 refurbished ones I bought 3 seem to be working fine. The fourth will take pics but seems like u have to stand in front of it for a minute to get it to work. But it was on 50 bucks. Just wanted to let u know my expierence lwith it. I know u get what u pay for but I feel we'll satisfied with what I have got as far as what I have paid out. I'm sure there are a lot better ones out there but all of mine are on public land and I look at it as if they get gone then I ain't out much plus if u seen the bear pics I posted it had clawed one of my originals that has been doing good so I would hate to have an expensive camera out and it get eat or tore up or stole. Just my two cents but they have worked good for me.

Caw,

Not to sound like a smartie at all. I would really like to know more about the coverts in your opinion. I'm sure overall they are better than the truth cams. I wonder about mine sometimes about stuff like the trigger speed etc. I have had wonderful luck but I know I'm prob just been lucky. I can't spend a lot on cameras because all I got is public land but in your opinion how long is the life of the average covert. I'm thinking about getting a couple to try out. I know with any electronic device there are lots of variables. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

CAW

volsfan1976 said:
Ruger,

I have 7 of the truth cams out right now. The first 3 I got from amazon for about $83 a piece. I got hooked so I bought 4 more refurbished from Natchez. No kidding last year I ran the first 3 on a single set of batteries each from end of sept. till end of march. On two of them I know I got over 35000 pics on a single set of batteries. I was amazed. I had it set to 3 pics every 10 sec and I put out trophy rock and that's why I got so many. But as of this past Wednesday they are still taking many pics. Now I know I'm probably very lucky but I have had great luck with them. Of the 4 refurbished ones I bought 3 seem to be working fine. The fourth will take pics but seems like u have to stand in front of it for a minute to get it to work. But it was on 50 bucks. Just wanted to let u know my expierence lwith it. I know u get what u pay for but I feel we'll satisfied with what I have got as far as what I have paid out. I'm sure there are a lot better ones out there but all of mine are on public land and I look at it as if they get gone then I ain't out much plus if u seen the bear pics I posted it had clawed one of my originals that has been doing good so I would hate to have an expensive camera out and it get eat or tore up or stole. Just my two cents but they have worked good for me.

Caw,

Not to sound like a smartie at all. I would really like to know more about the coverts in your opinion. I'm sure overall they are better than the truth cams. I wonder about mine sometimes about stuff like the trigger speed etc. I have had wonderful luck but I know I'm prob just been lucky. I can't spend a lot on cameras because all I got is public land but in your opinion how long is the life of the average covert. I'm thinking about getting a couple to try out. I know with any electronic device there are lots of variables. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

No offense taken. I know people that have had great success with all types of cameras, but almost all of the Chinese cams will be very lucky to last more than 18-24 months. I have bought just about every model out there over the last 12 years or so, sometimes buying 10 at a time.

This year I placed 11 cameras (yes, I said 11) over a mineral lick just to see what would happen. All of them were thought to be working at the time I put them out. 3 were Coverts (last year models), 3 were Moultrie (2 were brand new, 1 was last year's model), 3 were Primos(brand new) and 2 were Cudde (last year's model). All 3 of the Coverts took pictures but one took considerably more than the other two. One Primos camera took decent pics but less than half of the Covert, the other two Primos took horrible pics with one of them not lasting a week. All the Primos are dead now. All of the Moultries took decent pics with one matching the number of the best Covert. All of the Moultries are dead now. The Cuddes took no pics.

My little "test" was pretty representative of what I have experienced over the last 12 years. They all suck, but the Coverts seem to last a little longer and have a better trigger than the rest. I literally have a pile of cameras in my barn and my garage going back to the old 35mm type. For me, it's just a matter of time before they go bad.

I finally bit the bullet this year and decided to go with Reconyx. Hopefully my luck will be much better after making that investment. If not, I will go back with the Coverts and just put up with the problems. Covert has certainly been the best about swapping out cameras. I just got tired of going to check or put out a camera and it was dead.

DMD

I have owned probably 10 primos cameras and have had pretty good success with them. Also, I have found their customer service to be excellent. Once I lost the rubber cover that covers the SD card, contacted them to purchase one, they sent me one free. Another time, a friend had a Primos that went bad after the warranty period. I contacted Primos for him. They told me since it was out of warranty, they couldn't work on it, but they would sell me a brand new one for $50 shipped if I would like. That was half the price of one! The camera was brand new in the clam shell. That was a good deal.

Primos cameras are cheap, easy to use, take good pictures, have good trigger time and sensors and I have found them to be overall reliable. Much better than other brands I have messed with.

MUP

I've one Primos TruthCam 35 ultra, and after one set of batts got low and I put a fresh set in, the cam malfunctioned and melted the batteries into the back of the case. Now the Primos line of tcams has been absorbed by bushnell as of late, and thus customer service is provided by them now, and they were great about replacing it. Just my personal experience with them. ;)

Roost 1

My buds and I prolly have a dozen truth cams and we really like them..
Have had 2 malfunctions in last 3yrs and as stated above excellent customer service..
Personally I don't think any of these cams last forever......actually I think they have a short life expectancy....I try to replace mine every couple of years...

Ahuntin1

I have 2 primos Ultra's. I had to send mine back a few times. They are on there second season and still work. I like my Covert Black 60s better. I have started locking all of my cameras with python locks since two were stolen. I do love the fact that primos case allows the lock to pass thru the front so that a no one can even take your card. That is a good feature, but Covert gets my vote.

BSK

RUGER said:
BSK,
What all kinds of issues have you, and anyone else, seen from them ?

The issues have been the same as the other really cheap trail-cams. They are cheap Chinese-made junk.

BSK

RUGER said:
What specific issues do they have?

Just curious as I bought one last week and it took over 2,000 pics and still had 98% of the battery life left.

Do they not last long?

Like other cheap cameras, if you get a good one out of the box, you'll love it. For awhile. Then you'll hate it when it dies on you in the first year, or when you go to use it the second year and it's not working.

Every time I warn people against a certain brand of camera, whether it be Primos, WGI, Stealth, or any other cheap Chinese-made camera, I'll get 10 people commenting, "What are you talking about? I just got that brand of camera and I love it!" Yet, in a couple of months, I'll see those very same people make howling mad posts about how their camera stopped working.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Thanks everyone.

For this year I am gonna go with what I got then maybe, after I study up on the locks etc. I will step it up to a better camera.

BSK

One other comment (and I'm honestly not knocking anyone), and that is you will hear a lot of trail-cam users say, "I only use 'X' brand camera and they work great!" And my response is always going to be "Compared to what?" Have you tried a different brand of camera? Have you ever run a side by side comparison test with other brands of camera? Yes, if you are getting pictures, you're going to think your camera is working great. But until you compare it to other brands of camera, you might not realize what you're missing. The type of comparison test CAW did is EXACTLY the type of information everyone needs to see.

Latest posts