Brush other than oak?

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Anyone ever use anything other than oak brush, cane, cedar, and vines? We were working on ours over the weekend, and someone mentioned using hickory to do one, and that it held as well or better than oak. We did put a little on the blind, so I guess we will see how it does as the season goes along.

GUNNERX2

Several years ago, I cut some decent size maple limbs off trees around my house and drug them down to the area where I burn. This would have been around late August or early September. Come the following March, I was ready to burn and was amazed that all the leaves were still on the limbs. I've not tried brushing with maple and I would surmise that it's too late in the season to even try as the maple leaves are really coming off my trees.

tickweed

A lot of guys use honeysuckle. very tough, last a long time. I know some who use green cedar. And they kill ducks. Just goes to show color doesn't seem to be important to a duck. I know this sounds crazy, but we are in water waist deep year round, and we have lots of gray colors, so we use kudzu vines as a light layer, as they turn gray they blend in perfect, very tough, and no danger of getting planted in deep water. I hunt in a bottom with lots of buck brush, so I try and blind in with it. also, I ALWAYS try and keep my blind in the shadows for as much of the day as possible, sun at my back.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Pic IN the Casa":31k0un9u said:
Not a fan of cedar when it falls down your collar and itches all day long.

Yep, I shiver every time I see a trailer of cedar headed out.
No way I could handle that. I would rather brush every year. LOL

Dodge Man

RUGER":wo4q92m1 said:
Pic IN the Casa":wo4q92m1 said:
Not a fan of cedar when it falls down your collar and itches all day long.

Yep, I shiver every time I see a trailer of cedar headed out.
No way I could handle that. I would rather brush every year. LOL

We use a base layer of cedar to cover everything, then a layer of oak covered last by vines. We have several more trailers loads of oaks and vines to go lol.
cd070a7a179fb36505ec82c6a186f883.jpg
a31cc418932bb2ae2eff0b76d2e1578a.jpg
769b63c5f60b0c75452d4c9fe8732e68.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Other than painting the dog ramp, I think it's as done as we can get it. Thankfully, there was a blind on the site and we didn't have to build one this year, just some repairs. But this thing is huge in comparison to most of the draw blinds I have hunted. 28 long, 16 wide(10 in the blind, and a double boat port), and 25 tall to the rail. Water might be 6 deep on normal years. It's a sky buster's dream. I figure we'll be shooting down at most ducks.

Dodge Man

TNGunsmoke":z380wtqc said:
Other than painting the dog ramp, I think it's as done as we can get it. Thankfully, there was a blind on the site and we didn't have to build one this year, just some repairs. But this thing is huge in comparison to most of the draw blinds I have hunted. 28 long, 16 wide(10 in the blind, and a double boat port), and 25 tall to the rail. Water might be 6 deep on normal years. It's a sky buster's dream. I figure we'll be shooting down at most ducks.

The blind above is 27 ft to the shooting rail, shooting deck is 24ft x8ft, back room is 16x16ft. It's ruffly 30ft from the roof to the water.

tickweed

Dodgeman, yes we had some topped as well, although we did it our selves. Very dangerous, if you aren't a professional. It helped our blind a lot, especially ducks floating over the back. I think we are about brushed, maybe just a little touch up work. Our blind is a floater, very low profile. One day if we rebuild I may go to a pole blind, but our floater is so easy to hide.

Dodge Man

tickweed":2xc7gn0q said:
Dodgeman, yes we had some topped as well, although we did it our selves. Very dangerous, if you aren't a professional. It helped our blind a lot, especially ducks floating over the back. I think we are about brushed, maybe just a little touch up work. Our blind is a floater, very low profile. One day if we rebuild I may go to a pole blind, but our floater is so easy to hide.

We were using a floater but our boat shed was not built to float. We had trouble with hiding it very will on high water. When the river gets out our water level would change 8-10 feet. It just is too much of a change to keep a floater hidden. We needed to be back in the trees and not out in front of them.

Latest posts