Bruised middle finger

44fanatic

R.I.P.
Last Wednesday I went out and shot about 18 3" shells and noticed a discomfort. Yesterday, shot 12 3 1/2" shells and now my middle finger on my trigger hand is bruised and swollen. Pretty sure it is the trigger guard hitting it.

Any reccomendations on how to keep this from happening? I dont want to get away from the 3 1/2" shells as it seems that is what I am hitting the birds with...1 duck in the freezer, 1 cripple, and 3 coots (2 recovered) hit.

mathews338

my 10ga does same thing plus my cheek bone takes some punishment. nothing hurt my middle finger worse than a handgun I had once in 454. hold on tight is all I know to do.

pressfit

I have been a trapshooting coach for several years now and like you have shot a shotgun all my life.. I have never heard of anything like this.. not even from the smallest kid who cant even hold his gun up right.. when the gun fires the recoil of course goes backwards along with your shoulder and your hand that your gripping with.. unless you have developed some type of flinch from those 3 inch shells.. (which I would not doubt..) I cant imagine what it could be.. I have seen bruised and bleeding cheeks and shoulders from ill fitting guns but never a middle finger.. once it gets better.. start using the middle finger for your trigger finger and see how it works.. its a little awkard but very doable..

44fanatic

R.I.P.
pressfit said:
I have been a trapshooting coach for several years now and like you have shot a shotgun all my life.. I have never heard of anything like this.. not even from the smallest kid who cant even hold his gun up right.. when the gun fires the recoil of course goes backwards along with your shoulder and your hand that your gripping with.. unless you have developed some type of flinch from those 3 inch shells.. (which I would not doubt..) I cant imagine what it could be.. I have seen bruised and bleeding cheeks and shoulders from ill fitting guns but never a middle finger.. once it gets better.. start using the middle finger for your trigger finger and see how it works.. its a little awkard but very doable..

This is actually the first year I have done much shooting with a shotgun. Most of the shooting I have been doing is snap shooting from a blind. Shotgun unshouldered up until the first shot and then 2 quick follow ups. My shoulder is not bruised or hurting, so I am thinking I am getting it in tight enough to the shoulder. I dont believe I have developed a flinch as my shooting has actually improved over the past few weeks and my eyes are staying on the birds. Never had a similar problem with a 30-06, but then not much snap shooting.

Grizzly Johnson

You going to have to grip it harder.... your holding it too loose.

I'm not a very big fellow.... shot many 3.5" shells in 12ga and 10ga.... never had anything like that happen to me before.

Scud

Are you pulling the trigger with the tip of your finger? Have a friend who sometimes will stick trigger finger in too far and the guard gets his middle finger

Bullfrog

I shoot the same gun..never had it get me. Try a tighter grip or holding your hand more back towards the comb.

Main Beam

Heres the problem your pulling the trigger with your index finger at or past the first joint, just use the tip of your finer to pull the trigger and it will go away, took me a year to figure it out and 2 months later it still hurt

Grizzly Johnson

Main Beam said:
Heres the problem your pulling the trigger with your index finger at or past the first joint, just use the tip of your finer to pull the trigger and it will go away, took me a year to figure it out and 2 months later it still hurt

44fanatic said:
Its a Rem 870 supermag. Always tip/pad of the finger, no joint or furtherback.

Latest posts