Browning Gold Shotgun question

Paul Burns

A friend has a Browning that he has owned about 8 years. For the last year or so it has been failing to cycle part of the time. Never clears the empty shell. Bolt comes back but shell is completely inside the housing.
He has cleaned it faithfully after the hunt. Does anyone have any suggestions or experienced this problem with a 3 1/2 12 gauge Browning Gold. Happens with both 2 3/4 field loads and 3 1/2 duck loads.
Thanks Paul

infoman jr.

He should take the stock off and clean inside the action spring tube and spring. I would also recommend taking a drill bit of appropriate size BY HAND and cleaning out the gas ports.

bielaski

I got a Savage 720 from my grandfather that started to have the same problem about 6 months ago. Yea I know the Gold is gas operated and the A5 knockoff is recoil operated. I cleaned the bolt, the barrel, and the bore real good. The ejector pin and the extractor pin looked good - not worn. Same result = partial extraction/shell hangup or failure to extract. I tried cycling an empty shell by hand and failure to extract. The shell was tight after 1/2 way into the bore. What I figured is that the tolerance between the extractor pin on the bolt and the notch in the bore where it grabs the shell was off. So I took an old stainless steel knife and sanding paper and started slowly removing material around the circumference of the bore so that there was more clearance for the extractor pin to grab the base of the shell. When it cycled properly by hand I stopped. Went through a box of 25 birdshot and no more failure to cycle so far.

Latest posts