Sold/Expired Browning Abolt II 30-06

Antler Daddy

That is a great rifle. I have one just like it. My only wish is that the the safety was 3 position to work the bolt. The bolt is smooth, safety is easy, and the magazine is solid.

Snake

Nah, this is a good old-fashioned standard American cartridge, not one of those silly metric things from overseas 🤣

(And before someone educates me on the American origin of the 7mm Rem Mag, I'm very familiar… it is just a joke)
It's just I'm not a fan of the 06 I even have one but never hunted with it . One thing I seen with own eyes decided that for me . We was going to hunt one evening walking up a field next to the house and a buck was running to our property from the adjacent property. Soon as he hit our property jumping a fence he stood still looking at all of us . Two of my friends leveled down on the buck. First one had a Browning can't remember the model thinking it was a bolt action shot at the buck barely missing shot just under the buck, he was shooting a 7mm.mag. The buck was 300+ guessing. The buck stood still wondering what we were doing . Second friend having a Browning as well thinking an auto leveled down and shot at the buck . The shot threw dirt up striking at least 50 yards in front of the buck which took off then. He was shooting a 30-06 .I asked both did you allow for distance ? Both answered no shot little high aiming at the bucks back. Seeing the difference overwhelmed me enough to me to buying a 7mm mag . You have a beautiful rifle and what mine ain't yours is .. stainless. Boy I like that gun ...but I don't need another one dang it thats a good deal .

Jcalder

It's just I'm not a fan of the 06 I even have one but never hunted with it . One thing I seen with own eyes decided that for me . We was going to hunt one evening walking up a field next to the house and a buck was running to our property from the adjacent property. Soon as he hit our property jumping a fence he stood still looking at all of us . Two of my friends leveled down on the buck. First one had a Browning can't remember the model thinking it was a bolt action shot at the buck barely missing shot just under the buck, he was shooting a 7mm.mag. The buck was 300+ guessing. The buck stood still wondering what we were doing . Second friend having a Browning as well thinking an auto leveled down and shot at the buck . The shot threw dirt up striking at least 50 yards in front of the buck which took off then. He was shooting a 30-06 .I asked both did you allow for distance ? Both answered no shot little high aiming at the bucks back. Seeing the difference overwhelmed me enough to me to buying a 7mm mag . You have a beautiful rifle and what mine ain't yours is .. stainless. Boy I like that gun ...but I don't need another one dang it thats a good deal .
I'm not a fan of a 30-06 either but like a true red blooded American, I bought one and used it exclusively until I drew blood with it this season. There's way to many unknowns in your story, but I wouldn't let that one time sway my decision. There's no way they both had the same point of aim, and the 30-06 fell 50 YARDS short at 300 yards.

Snake

I'm not a fan of a 30-06 either but like a true red blooded American, I bought one and used it exclusively until I drew blood with it this season. There's way to many unknowns in your story, but I wouldn't let that one time sway my decision. There's no way they both had the same point of aim, and the 30-06 fell 50 YARDS short at 300 yards.
Well to be honest they where shooting kinda up hill and a little rise right before the buck. Falling a little short with that trajectory could seem more than it really was plus off arm shooting could have magnified what happened . But the 7mm is a flatter shooting round than the 06 this is known.

Jcalder

Well to be honest they were shooting kinda up hill and a little rise right before the buck. Falling a little short with that trajectory could seem more than it really was plus off arm shooting could have magnified what happened . But the 7mm is a flatter shooting round than the 06 this is known.
Ill agree that it is, but its not extreme

Snake

Ill agree that it is, but its not extreme
No but it really impressed me . Hadn't you just felt it was right to buy what you just bought ? The 7mm has served me well since I found the right round for it . I'll admit until I found that round I was disappointed. It's the Winchester 150 gr. ballistic Silvertip. I was shooting lower grain bullets and being totally disappointed. Friend ask me to try some regular hot handloaded 150 gr. ballistic tips . Very satisfied !! Im talking about deer kills and not target as the lower grain bullets shot well but not for deer . Didnt lose any but no blood trail at all zipped right through the deer . Used those until he retired then started buy the Winchester Silvertips and very satisfied hundreds of kills . Been quite a long time ago .

Jcalder

No but it really impressed me . Hadn't you just felt it was right to buy what you just bought ? The 7mm has served me well since I found the right round for it . I'll admit until I found that round I was disappointed. It's the Winchester 150 gr. ballistic Silvertip. I was shooting lower grain bullets and being totally disappointed. Friend ask me to try some regular hot handloaded 150 gr. ballistic tips . Very satisfied !! Im talking about deer kills and not target as the lower grain bullets shot well but not for deer . Didnt lose any but no blood trail at all zipped right through the deer . Used those until he retired then started buy the Winchester Silvertips and very satisfied hundreds of kills . Been quite a long time ago .
I do all my own processing, and have multiple deer donated every year. The worst I've seen are the ones shot with a 7 mag. Shot by 2 different people. Cross body. Entries in front of shoulder and bullets lodged in front of hams. Quite a bit of penetration on the angle. And everything in between was blood shot. No doubt it works.

Snake

I do all my own processing, and have multiple deer donated every year. The worst I've seen are the ones shot with a 7 mag. Shot by 2 different people. Cross body. Entries in front of shoulder and bullets lodged in front of hams. Quite a bit of penetration on the angle. And everything in between was blood shot. No doubt it works.
You know glad to get a little hamburger than nothing 😁 but if I shoot a shoulder I've made a bad shot .

Hey I apologize for semi hijacking your post brother just got caught up . You have a nice rifle at a good price . Trying to fight off looking at it again , I'm surprised it's lasted this long but its Christmas .

Last edited:

wcw280

This has got to be the dumbest reason to not like a caliber I have ever heard. You can hand load a 30-06 to shoot with a 300 win mag I've seen it and done it. There are so many variables to this above situation you might as well be comparing watermelons to apples. 7mm is a bad rig no doubt but a 30-06 is a hammer in its own right.

jlanecr500

Of all the calibers in my safe, the 06 sits right in the middle of the pack and in my opinion is THE do-it-all caliber. Until a packable laser is marketed, you gotta know what you are carrying and aim accordingly.

Snake

This has got to be the dumbest reason to not like a caliber I have ever heard. You can hand load a 30-06 to shoot with a 300 win mag I've seen it and done it. There are so many variables to this above situation you might as well be comparing watermelons to apples. 7mm is a bad rig no doubt but a 30-06 is a hammer in its own right.
Ahh just call me dumb but hey I don't need you to tell me that my wife does a good job at that. Are you a female ? Just sounds like what a female would say ! And for your information I never said the 06 wasn't a good round I just said the 7mm seeing what I seen was what felt good to ME !!

wcw280

Ahh just call me dumb but hey I don't need you to tell me that my wife does a good job at that. Are you a female ? Just sounds like what a female would say ! And for your information I never said the 06 wasn't a good round I just said the 7mm seeing what I seen was what felt good to ME !!
Yea two different shooters with two unknown loads, unknown zeros on scopes and unknown holds and unknown trigger pulls. But hey every miss or wounded deer everyone was holding right where they were supposed to. That one scenario changed your opinion of a caliber as a whole. Yes sir that is dumb.