Browning A5 questions (new school)

drrxnupe

I ordered an A5 and expect it to be here soon. For those that own one, what choke/ammo are you using for waterfowl. I have a ton of BlackCloud left over from this year. Is it ok to shoot these using factory Invector DS chokes?

TNReb

I shot a Carlsons choke out of mine for waterfowl and it worked well. I can't comment on the Black Cloud - never tried it.

A lot of people knock the factory Invector DS chokes. You should just go pattern it yourself and see what you think. I personally prefer an extended choke just because they're easier to swap out without a wrench. If you find yourself pass shooting instead of getting them to decoy right in your face, you may want to go to a longer range choke in the middle of a hunt and I don't like fooling with a wrench and such with cold fingers.

DeerKiller2012

I've got the new a5 3 1/5" and have patterned the invector ds chokes with Kent 2's 3's bb's , heavy steel 3's , win xpert bb's . I bought a pattern master code black duck choke and it holds the best pattern with all loads but seems the 3's pattern good and thick at 35 yds as well as the 2's . The bb's seem to be splotchy through that choke . I stuck with the pattern master this season and 2's and 3's .

scn

I have an old school Belgium A5 that I bought a new barrel for to shoot steel right when it was first coming out. I had mixed results with the invector chokes (modified or full) that I thought I needed to use at the time. However, when I dropped down to a plain improved cyliner choke, my issues went away and it became a killing machine. I've used it to cleanly kill geese at 60+ yds up on the SK prairies, so it definitely works for me. The IC choke was night and day better with steel than the others. I haven't tried one of the high $$ aftermarket chokes as I see no reason to mess with something that works.

Tweeter

I shoot a 3in Winchester dryloc bb with a code black goose patter master choke.
I also shoot 3in Winchester #4 for turkey and have hd good luck out of it

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 1,662

Scud

Shooting geese at 60+ yards but unethical to shoot at a turkey that far. :poke: But it is just a goose :pop:

scn

Scud":2s5eohz6 said:
Shooting geese at 60+ yards but unethical to shoot at a turkey that far. :poke: But it is just a goose :pop:

Snow goose. My view on them is that they are almost vermin due to the habitat destruction they bring to the northern tundra. So, yeah, I have a lot less concern about them than a turkey.

JayMc

I use the Carlsons chokes in my A5 with Winchester HV steel. Usually shoot 3" #2s or BBs.

Latest posts