Bringing western game home

JDBinTN

Planning to go hunt merriams turkey next year or so. Since I'll be flying (for the 1st time) I was wondering what's the best way to transport one back home?

cleatus2506

After you kill go to a local processor and get them to figure how much dry ice you'll need to make the trip. Then buy about double what they say!! It's not expensive and you don't want it to be running out halfway home.

jarhead7481

Are you talking the Meat or the trophy?
Eat the Meat and take the bird to a local taxidermist to have it skinned for you(if you can't do it). Before you leave talk to the taxidermist here (if your having it mounted) and let him tell you how it should be done.

If it's a cervid (deer, elk), read the rules in the hunting and fishing guide.
Page 10

skynimrod

Leave the meat and hire a local taxidermist for you mount. They will ship to ya, or you can ship to yourself. Bloddy game or large antlers are hard to get into upper bag storage :grin:

JA1234

just a hair or two north of the [censored] hole
you going through an outfitter...they should be able to tell you...if not, your taxidermist here can tell you or should be able to..skinning and salting is the cheapest way, if you can skin it yourself, then you pack it in checked bags or ship it to yourself.....then letting a taxidermist out there skin it freeze and ship to you would be next..your taxidermist may or may not take off some for what it cost you to have it skinned...I would 25(read use to)..they aren't hard to skin... about the only thing left you can do is let a taxidermist out there mount it...the shipping will eat you alive though....but its not to bad 120.00 + crating to ship a mounted strutter...the last one I shipped was from here to houston TX...cost to hunter was 120.00 shipping and 80 for me building a wood crate covered in cardboard to ship it in..Look up harry Whitehead in Louisville KY and shoot him a email asking...maybe he will answer you...he is better then Cally Morris IMO when it comes to a turkey. Cally is funnier to watch in seminars but Harry is good at what he does and will spend time trying to help anyone he can...he has a website I can't remember ...google his name and you should find it...

good luck on your hunt

I like Blue5's way and last time I checked no dry ice on planes...about 8 months ago now...

JA1234

just a hair or two north of the [censored] hole
PS
he may have instructions on his site...if not look up hazel creek and shane smiths site. one of the three should have shipping instructions on their site as they deal with birds from all over and out of the country... my guess is they will want them shipped whole frozen.. but maybe they will offer some assistance

Latest posts