Breathable Wader Recommendations

prstide

Frogg Toggs was making the Rogers waders back a couple years ago. I had the Grand Refuge 2.0 and the seams leaked in the crotch. They sent me a replacement pair under warranty and then the flap covering the boot tore but they didn't leak. That was in one season of wading the bottoms. I bought Sitka the first year they came out and haven't looked back.

Bgoodman30

That would be amazing, but it's just not the time of life for me to make that kind of investment.
I never thought I'd own a Sitka anything but happened upon a rain jacket in Cabela's bargain cave, pre-merger. Doubt I'll get that lucky again with a pair of waders.

Basically I'm just hoping it's reasonable to think there's something out there at my price point that Aquaseal will get me through on a manageable basis.

I have plenty of Sitka and I have got 30% or more on each item also the Simms waders boot foots were discontinued and 50% off. You just have to be patient and look around.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I immensely appreciate everyone's feedback. We'll see what I can find on sale, but all else being equal I'll probably go for the Frogg Toggs/Rogers' and try to tread carefully around sunken timber to not pierce the boot.

Lord-willing, someday I can eventually get a pair of Sitkas.

Biggun4214

My son has a pair of Rogers he got in 2019. He's hard small leaks since he got them. Saturday the boot ripped on the top of the foot. I'm hoping shoe goo will fix it.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I actually found that the insulated Drake's Guardian Elite model is way cheaper if you get the model where the insulation can't be taken out. Haven't heard people complain about their boots.
Couple problems I anticipate with un-removable insulation, though:
1) takes longer to dry if and when there are leaks
2) may be harder to locate leaks.
3) can you even get to the seams from the inside at all if they need fixing?

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Other issue is if warmer days would be too hot without a removable liner, notwithstanding wearing merino socks, and moisture-wicking lower and upper base layers.

Crosshairy

I actually found that the insulated Drake's Guardian Elite model is way cheaper if you get the model where the insulation can't be taken out. Haven't heard people complain about their boots.
Couple problems I anticipate with un-removable insulation, though:
1) takes longer to dry if and when there are leaks
2) may be harder to locate leaks.
3) can you even get to the seams from the inside at all if they need fixing?
You raise good points, and my friends that are doing their first year of Rogers breathables are pretty adamant that the removable liner is the way to go. It seems like leak testing could be a big pain.

I have decided that I'm going to shop around during the off-season and get a pair that checks all of the boxes I'm looking for instead of trying to shop during duck season when you are really worried more about what is in stock and probably paying full price for it (I have the luxury of still having a pair of waders that isn't leaking).

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Just a quick update. Decided I'm probably either going to go with the Rogers Elite Breathables or the Drake Eqwader.

The Rogers Elite has a hybrid style boot that's basically like a neoprene-sided Lacrosse or Muck boot. Those things are darn near indestructible, so I'm thinking there won't be the problems I constantly see in reviews (and even on this thread) about the regular Frogg Toggs and Rogers models tearing at the boot. Feels like a cheap pair of waders then becomes a pricey pair (even so, I cannot justify buying the Sitka at this time).

Both the Rogers Elite and the Drake Eqwader appear to have solid warranties, so any out-of-the-box leaks should be covered (and it looks like Drake has supposedly reduced the number of seam points and widened the tape). We'll see what happens in a couple months.

rooney

I hunted with a friend this weekend who has had all kinds of trouble with his Banded waders leaking. He has had to send numerous pairs back. He recently purchased a pair of High N Dry waders. He said so far so good. Their story is interesting. He has only wore them a couple of times so the jury is still out. Here is the link to their website. https://www.hndoutdoors.com/

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Went with the Rogers Elite waders when they got down to $229 during the wader blowout sale.
Trying them on, I was absolutely struck by how solid they feel—the rubber parts of the hybrid boot feel thick. The neoprene sections seem well-reinforced, also. Perhaps best of all, the boots really do fit true to size. Going to take them somewhere I can find any out-of-the-box leaks soon, hose them down, then hang them indoors on a wader hanger.