Branches in antlers

BSK

Numerous hunters have gotten trail-cam pictures of bucks with branches/sticks stuck in their antlers. Many researchers have noted bucks with "stuff" in their antlers seem in no particular hurry to remove it. It has been hypothesized bucks leave "junk" in their antlers because it makes them look bigger.

Only once, many years ago, have a gotten a picture of a buck with branches in his antlers. But this week I picked up this video:

Attachments

• IMG_0006.MP4
    26.5 MB

Shed Hunter

Nice video. I've only gotten a couple of those. My favorite is from last year I had a droptine deer that got a corn husk stuck on the opposite side and made it look like another droptine. Other one I can remember was from last year also. Old 7 point I ended up finding dead (almost certain old age got him) Blind in one eye and 25 3/4 inside spread!

peytoncreekhunter

Numerous hunters have gotten trail-cam pictures of bucks with branches/sticks stuck in their antlers. Many researchers have noted bucks with "stuff" in their antlers seem in no particular hurry to remove it. It has been hypothesized bucks leave "junk" in their antlers because it makes them look bigger.

Only once, many years ago, have a gotten a picture of a buck with branches in his antlers. But this week I picked up this video:

I've noticed your posting videos. Are you setting all your cameras for videos instead of pictures?

BSK

I've noticed your posting videos. Are you setting all your cameras for videos instead of pictures?
Yes, I no longer use still images at all. Although video resolution is not as good as still images, I've found the "mind's eye" can identify a moving buck's antler configuration quite easily, even in much lower resolution video than higher resolution still images. Also, now I don't have to worry about getting a series of night images that are too motion blurred to see the buck's antlers clearly. In addition, I'm seeing more deer in the video and learning SO much more about deer behavior with video over still images.

The only downsides I've found to using video are: 1) it takes MUCH longer to go through all the videos and record the data I collect from trail-cams; and 2) you better have some serious digital storage available! A single 20 second video can be 100 MB in size. A 10 second, 50 MB. When I checked cameras Friday I had over 1,200 videos to go through! That takes a long time and requires a heck of a lot of digital storage.

BSK

Here's a perfect example of what I mean when I say I'm "seeing more deer" with video. The below video is from the same spot, and involves the same buck as in the video I posted to start this thread (watch it to the end). If I had had a still camera there, it probably would have been set to take 3 quick pictures and then a 30 second delay. With the below video, the still camera would have caught the doe bolting out of the field at the beginning, but probably would not have caught the following buck, because he would have passed before the 30 second delay was over.

Attachments

• IMG_0009.MP4
    26.3 MB

Shed Hunter

Here's a perfect example of what I mean when I say I'm "seeing more deer" with video. The below video is from the same spot, and involves the same buck as in the video I posted to start this thread (watch it to the end). If I had had a still camera there, it probably would have been set to take 3 quick pictures and then a 30 second delay. With the below video, the still camera would have caught the doe bolting out of the field at the beginning, but probably would not have caught the following buck, because he would have passed before the 30 second delay was over.
I've tried setting my scrape cameras on 4 photo burst every 15 seconds (the ones I can)

Next year I may buy some of the browning cams you're running so they can hold a 64GB as I can't check my cams as often as I'd like to

BSK

10 second video had changed everything!
Absolutely correct. I used to run 20 second videos, but found I ended up with a lot of "dead air" for the last 10 seconds. So I've switched to 10 second video with a very short delay time in case the deer is still there.

TheLBLman

The only downsides I've found to using video are:
1) it takes MUCH longer to go through all the videos and record the data I collect from trail-cams; and
2) you better have some serious digital storage available!
3) Video is generally much less "practical" with cell cams.

Since BSK "sold" me on trying video, I've been taking a dual approach:

At a single "spot", I have both a cell cam taking stills;
and a video cam, that will get generally get checked less often
than would be the case if not for the cell cam near it.

Best of both worlds!

WilcoKen

Here's one for you. I killed this buck in 2006. Not branches but a wad of rope he'd gotten tangled up in. And to boot, he must have tangled with another buck and tore the left side off the smaller buck. I was shocked when I saw all the mess in his rack and wasn't real sure what it was until I got down to him. Foster Butt (Taxidermist) called him "Rope-a-dope".

Attachments

• 8CE742EE-B9CB-4A59-A905-EB6E96BA47FA.jpeg
    8CE742EE-B9CB-4A59-A905-EB6E96BA47FA.jpeg
    479.5 KB · Views: 81